Which Car Manufactures Use A Break In Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
which car manufactures use a break in oil in their new car engines? When we rebuild them we use regular dino of the weight in which the original engine designer wants.

I believe BMW does on all their cars. The M cars for sure -- they have their first scheduled change at like 1300 miles. Speculation was that they use some sort of dino oil from the factory.

I think GM commented on this a while back.

The reason that factory fills contain high level of EP additives and differ from the regular off-the-shelf motor oil was the assembly lube from the new engine.

i just bought a new chevy sonic and GM dumps in ac/delco syn blend for ff w/ nothing added

My first scheduled change on my new BMW 320i is due at November 2013 or 18000 miles so I don't think there can be a break in oil that would stay in that long-think it is just a castrol long life synthetic.

Fuji Heavy Industries/Subaru. Their factory fill Idemitsu oil has higher levels of moly, zinc, and phosphorus.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: dparm
BTW do we have any hard evidence for these claims?

My evidence comes from an engineer at Idemitsu.
wink.gif
Had I not seen the email, I would have presumed that all of the moly in Subaru oil comes from assembly lube. Before the switch to Idemitsu, Subaru used regular mineral oil according to SoA.

-Dennis

There was a bunch of stink about this when the SRT8 6.1 liter motors came out. I had lunch with the senior VP at a track even in Homestead in September of 2005. He stated it was full of regular M1 0w-40, and that assembly lubes and sealants were present from normal production procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back