Which Brand of Strut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace struts and shocks on my daughters 04 Saturn Ion. There are two brands available, Gabriel-Ultra, and Monroe Sensa-trac. Any differences or preferences between the two?

Having used Monroe and KYB, I'd pick KYB first, Monroe second. The KYB's had a better ride quality than the Monroes, which re-set the ride to OE.

Thanks for the info. The car has 85k on it. I have gone to my local parts stores, Napa, Carquest, etc., and not only are these the only ones they show, none of them stock them, they have to be ordered. I will do a online search for KYB and Bilstein and see how the cost compares.

AC Delco shocks and struts are made by Monroe. they are usually sensa trak's in disguise.

You are actually better off with the KYB, they are built better, designed to last and give a much nicer ride.
the monroe's to me have gone down in quality, they don't offer the ride and handling like they used to.
both brands give a lifetime warranty, KYB offers a customer satisfaction warranty. so when you want a new set, no problem. Monroe is more finicky about it, and ususally wants validated reasons, not, "because they're bad".

my second choice is bilstein, only because of the price. I believe AZ still has the lifetime warranty on them, but the KYB's are less expensive with the same warranty.
Gabriel's are very good as well.

The Ion is known to have weak rear shocks...among other things!

I would go for the KYB's

Left strut

#W0133-1831603 $95.95

Right strut

#W0133-1831604 $95.95

Rear shocks

#KY343308 $26.46 each

My choice

Koni
Bilstein
Tokiko
KYB
Monroe

Per KYB, you want the gas adjust, GR2 are the low pressure cheaper version.

The folks I know who have purchased Monroes all liked the ride and comfort.

Then about 50k miles later they needed to shop for struts and shocks again.

I agree with the fellows who recommended Bilsteins and Konis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back