Which brand of Engine Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am looking to do the change myself in the next few days, and was trying to figure out which to buy. I've typically used the Mobil1 on my Honda, and will be doing it for the first time on the Volvo. I would appreciate any recommendations.

I had bought a few bottles at AutoZone a few years ago during a sale, but forgot which brand or type within the brand. The oil filters, I believe were the Mobil 1, Purolator, and then the new Fram Ultra.

Its the first time I will be changing in the Volvo.

I prefer to use synthetics every 10,000 mi or so. I plan to keep both vehicles till they die.

From the sticky:

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2008 Honda Odyssey EXL 3.5L
2013 Volvo S60 T5 2.5L

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
Honda Manual: 5W-20 detergent oil [A prior dealer said they changed their recommendations, but I couldn't find anything online]
Volvo Manual: 5W-30 meeting ACEA A5/B5 requirements

3. Where you live
Northern Illinois

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Hard, Fast.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Mostly short trips under 15 mi during weekday, 50 mile trips during weekends, and 1000 mile trips on the occasional long weekend.
Both vehicles generally under 10,000 mi a year

6. Whether your car has any known problems?
Not for the Volvo. The Odyssey, I believe we've topped off the engine oil a few months ago by half-a-quart.

Question aside you have been a member since 2005 and have made 8 posts???
wow!
laugh.gif

You know what, Mobil 1 has your flavor for both vehicles.

Though Honda most likely recommend 5w20 for the van, you can use 5w30 in both of your rods.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
wow!
laugh.gif

I had an earlier account on the original bitog forum, but lost access to the email address and username/passwords. Lost my posting history with the new account.

Besides, I have found someone has almost asked or answered my question before, or I find that I have nothing to add that hasn't been covered before.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny

Though Honda most likely recommend 5w20 for the van, you can use 5w30 in both of your rods.

I just found two 5 quart empty jugs of 0w-20 that I've kept for transporting recycled oil. I used it in my Honda Odyssey. Seem to recall the dealer recommendation but not sure why.

I pretty much use Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. Both are easy to find and decent prices at Meijer or Walmart.

Any major brand that meets your specs. M1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol will do fine for off the shelf oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Zicco Fen
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
wow!
laugh.gif

I had an earlier account on the original bitog forum, but lost access to the email address and username/passwords. Lost my posting history with the new account.

Besides, I have found someone has almost asked or answered my question before, or I find that I have nothing to add that hasn't been covered before.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny

I just found two 5 quart empty jugs of 0w-20 that I've kept for transporting recycled oil. I used it in my Honda Odyssey. Seem to recall the dealer recommendation but not sure why.

0w20 for the best possible fuel economy.. real world driving you'll never notice the difference between the 0 and 5w20 in your MPG.

I would use a 5w30 A5/B5 oil in both cars. An A5/B5 oil will be a thin 3p weight anyway.

Look for an oil that carries Ford WSSM2C-913D specification. This includes some extra tests and anti wear additives that you'd not get with a normal A5/B5 oil.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Mobil 1 5w30 meets ACEA A5/B5. Also Mobil 1 AP,EP,and HM

Although the Mobil Product guide for 2018 confirms the above, I flound this bottle that only lists A1/B2. Maybe it's an older bottle. Anyone see Mobil 1 bottles with A5/B5?

0849D25A-FCC9-4ABA-8E7D-739E0DA1BAE0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back