Which brake pads for towing?

I have a 2008, F150, Crew Cab, 5.4L, 4X4, 6.5 ft bed, 78,000 miles. Weighs in around 6000 pounds. When I bought it the brakes sucked, brake dust was bad and it ate rotors.

I up-graded (or so I thought) to the Wagner ThermoQuite semi metallic pads and rotors. No difference except the drake dust was almost non-existent. Still didn't want to stop and it ate the rotors.

I now tow a trailer and tractor (about max towing capacity) once or twice a year so went to Bendix Fleet MetLok severe duty semi metallic brake pads and rotors. These stop better, rotors are holding up, but the dust is unbearable.

It is time to get something with less dust. Looked at Power Stop Z36 Carbon Fiber Ceramic but several reviews state that the first two stops are as if the brakes went out. Don't need this. Several state that Raybestos and Bosh make good pads. Going to buy through Rock Auto.

Suggestions…

Forget about the Power Stop products. The Bendix fleet brakes are pretty darn good for your application. You are not going to get good stopping performance out of ceramic pads. You are going to need severe duty semi-metallic pads for towing. I like Wagner Severe Duty or the Motorcraft equivalents. You are going to get brake dust from semi-metallics. But, your vehicle will stop better and the pads and rotors will stay cooler.
https://www.wagnerbrake.com/products/brakes/wagner-sd-severeduty.html

Last edited:
Nothing stops like semi metallic but as you found out they are dusty and the dust sticks and they eat rotors for breakfast. I have the same issue with my Dodge 1500 QC. When I asked the mechanic at the shop that does my inspections he said the only real solution was to upgrade the callipers and rotors to an oversized kit with multiple pistons if it would fit in my wheel.

Now I don't tow but once every few years but I switched to Power Stop Z36 on my 2011 back in Feb (had one caliper seize and eat the pad/rotor before I could get to tear down and got a screaming deal on the PS kits). So far I've been very impressed. Heavy zinc coating on the rotors shows zero signs of break down after initial 1/2 winter of use. Brakes have an excellent feel, far better that OE or the Wagner TQ's I also ran prior to this. Brakes on my 2011 Scab seriously out perform the brakes on our newer 2018 Screw. Of course, I can't comment on longevity yet, nor on towing but so far so good.

Originally Posted by MParr
Forget about the Power Stop products. The Bendix fleet brakes are pretty darn good for your application. You are not going to get good stopping performance out of ceramic pads. You are going to need severe duty semi-metallic pads for towing. I like Wagner Severe Duty or the Motorcraft equivalents. You are going to get brake dust from semi-metallics. But, your vehicle will stop better and the pads and rotors will stay cooler.
https://www.wagnerbrake.com/products/brakes/wagner-sd-severeduty.html

Power Stop products are very popular over on the Chevy Silverado Boards and guys like them.

Wagner has a line of Severe Duty pads. There is also OEX which is ceramic but should be better than the Thermoquiets
smile.gif

Akebono ASP pads are also good stuff

There's also Hawk LTS and EBC Greenstuff 6000. EBC also makes orange "extra duty" pads, but they are very expensive

A recent BITOG favorite seems to be the Raybestos EHT

I had PowerStop Truck/SUV pads with Callahan slotted zincs on my 2010 GMC.
History was:
Factory pads were getting too weak for 2k trailer with no brakes towed at 70 MPH speed limit
Went to EBC Yellow … great stopping power … BUT, ate discs in no time flat …
Went to the above, better stopping than the OEM without rotor damage …
(in hindsight would have been ideal) …

I have Powerstop brakes on my '12 F150.

1) It is not my daily driver (my company Escape is). It's used for towing and firewood work.

2) I completed the appropriate break-in procedure. Stops on a dime - i.e. Awesome.

3) I tow my 5500lb Jeep on my 1800 lb trailer several times a year as well as my 26' Jayco camper and a 18' trailer full (plus bed) of ATV's.- No issues.
I have also pulled a couple cord of green oak (11,000 lbs) without issue -in my town.

There are bunch of good pads for your app. Not sure why you're not doing rotors too? Brake performance with a new matched set of rotors and pads would offer the best performance. Powerstop has worked well for me and is inexpensive. My $.02

Yea get a good set of semi-metallic or performance ceramic pads.

The RAYBESTOS SP1083TRH are a good truck based semi-met pad. Will make some dust but hold up well to towing.

If you want a ceramic pad the POWER STOP Z361011 are made for high heat while using a ceramic base.

The RAYBESTOS EHT1083H is a hybrid pad that offers a little better performance than ceramic without much dust.

I am going to keep the Bendix MetLock Rotors as they are almost new with less than 5,000 miles on them. They seem like good rotors.
I think there is several new formulations of pad materials but with the Covid outbreak getting in touch with someone at most companies is nearly impossible.

Originally Posted by Audios
Motorcraft makes super duty pads for towing or high heat, with a good set of rotors you may see good results.

Correct. The Power Stop product just can't match the Motorcraft Super Duty performance. And, neither can any brand of ceramic pads.

Not a Ford owner.

Bought the whole PowerStop Z36 kit for my Tundra. Drilled - slotted rotors, pads, etc. about $475 worth. Did the bed in procedure to the letter.

1. Noted NO better performance than OEM ( bought the truck new )
2. After 60k miles, truck is almost undriveable. Horrible vibration when braking.

Bought all new Toyota OEM parts last Wednesday for $295. Gonna try to knock it out this week.

I'll never get suckered by the Powerstop junk again.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Wagner has a line of Severe Duty pads. There is also OEX which is ceramic but should be better than the Thermoquiets
smile.gif

Akebono ASP pads are also good stuff

There's also Hawk LTS and EBC Greenstuff 6000. EBC also makes orange "extra duty" pads, but they are very expensive

A recent BITOG favorite seems to be the Raybestos EHT

Great options presented here by st ^^^^^^^^^

Back