Which Battery????

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '93 Supra goes thru batteries too fast. (1 yr life is average). I think the problem is that the car's security system and PCM draws enough current to drain the battery dry in 30-60 days. I only drive the car once every 2-3 months.

I read that modern car batteries don't like deep discharge cycles.

What kind of battery should I use in a car that isn't driven that much??? (ie Optima Yellow, Boat motor battery, RV battery, etc??????)

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:
My '93 Supra goes thru batteries too fast. (1 yr life is average). I think the problem is that the car's security system and PCM draws enough current to drain the battery dry in 30-60 days. I only drive the car once every 2-3 months.

You could loan your car out when you aren't driving it. Need a volunteer?
grin.gif

Oilboy had the right answer. My recommendation is a Battery Tender Plus by Deltran. It charges at amx rate of 1.25 Amps, then shuts off when the battery is fully charged until it needs another charge. About $40.00. Nice thing is that you can leave it hooked up forever and it will never overcharge your battery.

It should make your battery outlast it's warranty amd more than pay for itself on the first battery.

Try an optima yellow top. It's a deep cycle gel cell battery. They are designed for intermittent use. I have one on a vehicle I restored. I've had it for 4 years now, and the vehicle is started maybe 6 times a year.

The manufacturer even says its not for everyday use.

It has been a bulletproof battery.

quote:

Originally posted by oilboy123:
Seems like you need a maintenance trickle charger to keeep your battery charged up.

Smart man here, listen to him.

Also check your alternator for proper charging output.

A lot of antique car owners (seems you have the same use rate!) install a KNIFE SWITCH @ battery to avoid discharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back