Which basestocks burn cleaner, dino or syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My engine burns 1 qt per 800 miles. I'm not presently concerned with this consumption. I'd like to know if I should be running a dino or syn oil for less junk around the rings and combustion chambers.

I also skimmed through the "which oil for cleaning up a motor" thread and was shocked that noone said running a deisel oil would be bad for a oil consuming motor. I thought that the high ash content is a big no no for oil burning motors.

Update:
I called Mobil and was told that the syn burns "cleaner" (ie leaves less carbon behind) when it gets in the combustion chamber.

I did not ask about the diesel oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris A:
Update:
I called Mobil and was told that the syn burns "cleaner" (ie leaves less carbon behind) when it gets in the combustion chamber.

I did not ask about the diesel oils.

Synthetic oils will burn cleaner. I think the cleanest burning one's are the ones with the highest ester content. At 800 miles/qt, running a synthetic will get pretty expensive.

quote:

Originally posted by mdv:
At 800 miles/qt, running a synthetic will get pretty expensive.

I don't consider an extra $5 a month as getting expensive. If I were really worried about pinching pennies, I'd have a small 4 cyl engine I could burn 89 octane gas with. I could probably save $100 per month from the gas price and mileage savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back