Which auto restoration shows on TV are good or do you watch?

Been watching a new one that has been running on Motor Trend TV called Flipping Bangers. Two crusty Brits work on flipping cheap iconic cars in one episode spread out over 5 days. Very similar to the Wheeler Dealers show but with a much lower budget. Both are pretty good as they highlight the actual wrenching and repairs without any of the gimmicks like Overhaulin' or drama like O.C. Choppers. Also like Restoration Garage, Counting Cars, Gas Monkey Garage, Fast & Loud. What others do you like?

Reactions: JC1
I think that B itchin' Rides does the best work, good craftsmen there. I like most of his designs. The door handles and wheels are usually crap though. I used to watch Overhaulin' and think Chip Foose does great work but don't usually care for his designs. The Gas Monkey, Counting Cars and Goblin dudes are just jokes imo.

Need to check some of these shows out.

Owning a boat company where the product starts with drums of resin and cloth.

Most of these shows are a joke. The chopper show being one.
They dont really "make" much of anything, but are more assemblers than anything.
Monday a frame shows, up,
Tuesday forks and wheels,
Wedesday an engine,
ancillary stuff all shows up in the mail.
They make a fender and a tank

When I had cable I watched a few such shows.
They have a scripted hysteria of time being a critical part of the show. The clock ticks down while they wait on parts, wait on the guys to bolt parts on, wait on someone to whip up a peanut gas tank.. have a crybaby in the shop cuss/BLEEP while he throws a wrench.
I don't miss cable TV nor do I stream such shows.

I'll have to check out iron resurrection.

I like Roadkill Garage, Hot Rod Garage, Kendigs show which cannot be named, Graveyard Cars.

I'd like a Ford Version of Graveyard Cars.

Motor Trend On demand has some others that are occasionally entertaining....

I'll have to check out iron resurrection.

I like Roadkill Garage, Hot Rod Garage, Kendigs show which cannot be named, Graveyard Cars.

I'd like a Ford Version of Graveyard Cars.

Motor Trend On demand has some others that are occasionally entertaining....
^^watch these some … or flip around if I have seen that build already …

I gave up on "TV" several years ago. At the same time, I gave up on these shows, which had already started to evolve into nothing more than pre-staged and scripted soap operas for men, complete with hissy fits. (e.g. American Choppers).

Over on YouToob, I walked away from Westen Champlin, as he couldn't keep it real anymore, and had evolved in tearing things up (instead of fixing them) and 'jumping the shark' with the choices in new projects. Matt/Diesel Creek, J.C. Smith, Project Farm, and Andrew Camarata are still doing a good job in keeping it real.

Last edited:
I don't watch auto repair/restoration shows on TV any more. The last one I watched was Wheeler Dealers but stopped when Mike Brewer dropped Edd China like a hot potato. Edd was the reason I watched the show, not Mike and his shenanigan's. Ant Anstead may be a decent replacement but I refuse to watch because of the way Mike treated Edd.

I watch my automotive content on YouTube now. The channels I watch that show the nuts and bolts of auto repair/restoration yet have enough entertainment value to keep it interesting are: South Main Auto, Tavarish, LegitStreetCars, and Samcrac.

I really enjoyed watching Desert Valley Car Kings - every single episode. How they took those old rusty wrecks and salvaged parts from their own massive boneyard just fascinated me. I doubted the roadworthiness of what they cranked out for auction, but man it was interesting.

When I had cable I watched a few such shows.
They have a scripted hysteria of time being a critical part of the show. The clock ticks down while they wait on parts, wait on the guys to bolt parts on, wait on someone to whip up a peanut gas tank.. have a crybaby in the shop cuss/BLEEP while he throws a wrench.
I don't miss cable TV nor do I stream such shows.

The artificial drama - yeah what a crock.

We actually participated in 1 show, and were part of manufactured drama,
We called off doing it again because we couldn't convince the producers that the drama should revolve around the clients interaction with the shop, vs the team inside the shop. There is plenty of great interaction with the client to focus on but it isnt tense enough for the juvenile attention spans of most of these audiences.

IMO Graveyard Carz and Bitchin Rides turn out the best work. Granted Graveyard Carz is Mopar specific, I'm sure they can turn out nice work no matter what they do.

I'm a Mopar guy but couldn't stand Graveyard Cars, only watched one season. They did know their stuff though.

Wheeler Dealers and Garage Squad are my two favorites on MotorTrendTV. I really miss FantomWorks. I used to love B1tchin' Rides, but stopped watching as I just found myself getting annoyed with Dave and Kevin. It started to get really hokey and turn in to a game of who could be funnier than the other. That is great in small doses, but started to become the main focus of the show.

There are channels on YouTube that are much more interesting. Tavarish, Car Wizard, WatchJRGo, and even Sarah-N-Tuned all have some really fun content to watch. Although, there is a trend on those channels now for the content creators to rent/buy full shops with lifts and expensive lighting and state-of-the art tools. That is great and all, but really takes away from the charm that the channels had and the ability of the viewers to connect to them as fellow DIY'ers.

Not TV, but I love Vice Grip Garage because it speaks to that grungy “it ain’t pretty, it just works” part of me. Tavarish is pretty fun to watch as well.
Yep I like vice grip garage and the simple efficient fixes he does, as my level restoration is restore to mostly functional, for a while atleast. The youtube channels and shows where they get 10's of thousands in stuff from sponsors and put it together don't help me much!

I don’t really watch the restoration ones. Body work is boring to me. I watch ones like Roadkill and Texas Car Wars and stuff where they focus on mechanical stuff. I’ve seen about everyone listed on here though. Most of the ones I watch are on YouTube like Junkyard Digs, Thunderhead289 etc. Roadkill used to be on there but not anymore.

Back