Which ATF?

• MB236.10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MB236.14

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi.
A few of the Multi fluid usage posts has me thinking.

My Transmission was made in Germany by Mercedes. The casing says 722.6 on it. It was bolted onto a OM642 Engine, made by Mercedes, whilst still in Germany, then as a unit it was shipped to Magna Steyr factory and fitted into a Grand Cherokee. The Transmission is now designated a W5J400.

This was back in 2008 when Chrysler and Daimler were an item. I make the assumption that as my Transmission came from the Mercedes factory then its original fluid fill was MB236.10.

The vehicle manufacture - Jeep - says use ATF+4.
The Transmission manufacturer -Mercedes - says use the latest spec MB236.14.

I have read on this forum that the original MB236.10 is very close to ATF+4 so ATF+4 is just fine. Others have said that they are very different.

If this were your Transmission which would you use?

Multivehicle.
ATF+4
MB236.10
MB236.14

Thought i would make it a Poll.

I welcome any comments. I would say, please remember i have limited knowledge, so for those with an in depth understanding please be patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redline C+seems like a good choice for your Jeep.

That C+ is not licensed ATF+4 but is the best ATF to use where ATF+4 is called for. It uses the same Lubrizol add pack as licensed ATF+4 but with a better base oil.

Maxlife will also be OK in your Jeep, and this bulletin published by Mercedes has circulated around the net for awhile, and Maxlife is clearly listed as OK to use for 722.6
mercedes_atf_fluid-jpg.252417

If you want to spend the money, Redline C+. Otherwise, Maxlife :)

I know nothing about this particular transmission, but if it were my vehicle, I'd use ATF+4 per Jeep's recommendation.

Redline C+seems like a good choice for your Jeep.

That C+ is not licensed ATF+4 but is the best ATF to use where ATF+4 is called for. It uses the same Lubrizol add pack as licensed ATF+4 but with a better base oil.

Maxlife will also be OK in your Jeep, and this bulletin published by Mercedes has circulated around the net for awhile, and Maxlife is clearly listed as OK to use for 722.6
mercedes_atf_fluid-jpg.252417

If you want to spend the money, Redline C+. Otherwise, Maxlife :)
Hi.
Thank you for that. Never seen Mercedes officially mention a Multi vehicle fluid before.

Redline is not readily available in UK.

I know nothing about this particular transmission, but if it were my vehicle, I'd use ATF+4 per Jeep's recommendation.
Hi.
This is what i have been pondering. Listen to the people who make the Transmission or the people who just bolt it in their vehicle and sell it as a Jeep?

Hi.
This is what i have been pondering. Listen to the people who make the Transmission or the people who just bolt it in their vehicle and sell it as a Jeep?
Here's my thinking: in modern vehicles, it's not just the transmission itself, but also the programming of the transmission control module that comes into play. That's why I'd use the vehicle mfr's recommendation.

that’s an mbusa bulletin, don’t take it as endorsement from the manufacturer

if the powertrain was sent over an assembled unit it may have MB fluid. the crossfire used 236.10/12 and there was a mopar part assigned to it.

without a UOA of an untouched unit you won’t know the truth

Last edited:
that’s an mbusa bulletin, don’t take it as endorsement from the manufacturer

if the powertrain was sent over an assembled unit it may have MB fluid. the crossfire used 236.10/12 and there was a mopar part assigned to it.

without a UOA of an untouched unit you won’t know the truth
Hi.
Fair enough about it being a mention in a bulletin rather than an endorsement.

You raise a good point about the Crossfire- basically a Mercedes SLK - taking a Merc spec fluid and not ATF+4. It is the same with the Dodge Sprinter. They use the Mercedes fluid too. Both use the 722.6. Jeep specs ATF+4. Go figure.

The Engines and Transmissions were shipped as a unit, in my Jeeps case to Austria.

Back