Which are there more of - OHC or OHV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the entire history of automobile and truck production in the world, what has been built more - Overhead-valve engines, or Overhead-cam engines?

My guess is OHC engines...just a hunch - anyone got any facts?

History of the IC engine? OHV would be my guess.

Pushrods have been around for a LONG time. A lot of engines (esp older ones) had them.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Pushrods have been around for a LONG time. A lot of engines (esp older ones) had them.

Bill

+1

I knew OHC is an older design, and I thought if you balanced 1930-1980 US OHV production levels with production from all other countries - Japan and Europe mainly - you'd come out with more OHC.

Most overhead cam engines are also an overhead valve design so you can count them twice in the total.Or are you asking just the ratio of pushrod vs. overhead cam?

Both are OHV.Other types would be flat head,L head,slide valve etc.

Quote:
In the entire history of automobile and truck production in the world,

Push rod actuated OHV engines by far.

Given the prominence of the SBF/BBF, SBC/BBC, SBM/BBM over the years in almost every application under the sun, and the millions upon millions of them built for decades and decades, I would say that the pushrod engine holds the larger market share by a wide margin.

Most people are going to think strictly domestic engines.

I don't think the Corolla had an OHC engine until 1983. 1968-1982 were all slant 4 K engines or "hemi" T engines.

The Corolla has been the best selling nameplate in the world since 97. The Corolla has done well here since the
1973 energy crisis. That's a lot of Corollas.

I read somewhere that the majority of early Toyota engines were based on the Chevrolet "Stovebolt" 6-cylinder

Similarly, Nissan/Datsun's Sunny/B210/210 didn't get an OHC engine until 1982

An OHC Volkswagen didn't appear in the US until 1974.

Until the Japanese "invasion", most motorcycles were cam in bloc. OHV, flathead, intake over exhaust, or exhaust over intake

If you bought an English car before 1980 and it wasn't a Jaguar, it was probably an OHV (MG, Triumph, Hillman Avenger/Plymouth Cricket...)

and if we go outside of the Automotive and truck realm. How many engines are flatheads? (valve in block) Think of all the engines Tecumseh and Briggs and Stratton have made + all the Ford Flathead V8s....

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Bill

I agree, but OHC engines are gaining fast now as most engines today are OHC.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Given the prominence of the SBF/BBF, SBC/BBC, SBM/BBM over the years in almost every application under the sun, and the millions upon millions of them built for decades and decades, I would say that the pushrod engine holds the larger market share by a wide margin.

I agree. I've had many "American" cars mostly V8's from Chevy and Ford but some 6 cylinders (AMC 232 and 258, Chevy 250, Ford 200 and a couple of Dodge "Slant 6") all of which were "pushrod" engines or OHV.
I had both a Chevy Vega and a Ford Pinto - both were OHC and some early 70's Nissans (Datsun) that were OHC engines. The Datsuns were good reliable engines - easy to work on.
So up until about 2005 about 75 percent of my cars were OHV design. Since 2005 that has reversed and now 3 of the 4 vehicles in my signature are OHC!

Overhead valve vs. overhead cam are not a one or the other situation.
It makes no sense to compare them.
All OHC are OHV.
Most other engines are by far OHV.

You'd have to go back to the 1950s [and previously] when flathead engines were produced to see otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back