which analysis company ?

going a full year on my 2008 F 150 4x4 5.4L V8 with Royal Purple 5w-30 synthetic(with RP filter)

may reach about 4,500 - 5K miles.....where should I have the oil analyzed ?

I'll post when received

thanks
cheers3.gif

Blackstone's analysis includes pre-paid postage but if you use their mailer then USPS tends to delay delivery.

Not sure about the others including postage, but I find it's a lot easier to just mail the analysis myself in a discreet box. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks and you can print the shipping label online.

NAPA kits are $16 and available at local NAPA although may need to get them from the warehouse.

Blackstone is overpriced. $40 for the UOA with TBN. NAPA is $16 for the UOA with TBN.

Blackstone gives you comments encouraging everyone to extend their OCI. Ignore their comments

Some give you oxidation and nitration levels.

Originally Posted by Donald
NAPA kits are $16 and available at local NAPA although may need to get them from the warehouse.

Blackstone is overpriced. $40 for the UOA with TBN. NAPA is $16 for the UOA with TBN.

Blackstone gives you comments encouraging everyone to extend their OCI. Ignore their comments

I for my Wix kits from Rockauto for $9.95 each.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

But if all you want is a UOA kit, then the postage from RA may not be worth it.

Its also good to pick one and stick with it so you can see the trends on the reports. They typically list the last 4 or 5 analysis reports on the latest report.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

But if all you want is a UOA kit, then the postage from RA may not be worth it.

I bought ten of them I think the postage was under $6.

And why is it a problem for them to encourage extending the OCI, given the data? Btw, they don't always do that. This is a generalization. I've seen plenty where they did not do that and some where they suggested a shorter OCI.

I find Blackstone's comments to be informative. YMMV. I do agree that they are overpriced, though. But they do make it easy.

I am impressed with Napa's price. How is their turnaround time, typically, and who does it for them?

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I am impressed with Napa's price. How is their turnaround time, typically, and who does it for them?
If you are going to go with NAPA, buy WIX from Rock Auto; both NAPA and WIX use Oil Analyzers as the lab:

https://www.oaitesting.com/

Turnaround is not bad about a weekish for them, I use WIX for my C300 testing and Polaris for my JLUR.

CAT dealer. See where you closest is.

https://www.cat.com/en_US.html

I dropped mine off in person and met the head of the lab and was offered a peak inside.

I stopped mailing mine to Blackstone or WIX as I have had some go missing in the mail.

Last edited:

I will not ignore their comments, as I need their comments to help interpret what my analysis is saying.

I know what I know, and I know what I don't know. When it comes to things I dont know, I value assistance in navigating the subject.

That used to be considered an intelligent approach to life in general, it seems times have changed and left me behind I guess...

Originally Posted by IndyFan

And why is it a problem for them to encourage extending the OCI, given the data? Btw, they don't always do that. This is a generalization. I've seen plenty where they did not do that and some where they suggested a shorter OCI.

I find Blackstone's comments to be informative. YMMV. I do agree that they are overpriced, though. But they do make it easy.

ALS which has several labs you can choose from. I bought them on Amazon for 9-11$. Takes about a week and they put the results on a chart in your account. I go to their website to get results and it charts every vehicle and all the results are their for comparison. They also offer comments but are shorter ones.
I found it's better to put their mailer jar in an envelope because it gets there faster. An employee there told me that the Atlanta post office lets the round containers accumulate before delivering while an envelope gets delivered normally. One of my samples sat at the PO for several weeks.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Does the NAPA/Wix kit measure fuel dilution?

No; there is no entry for fuel on the WIX report. Not sure about NAPA but assume they are similar.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

I will not ignore their comments, as I need their comments to help interpret what my analysis is saying.

I know what I know, and I know what I don't know. When it comes to things I dont know, I value assistance in navigating the subject.

That used to be considered an intelligent approach to life in general, it seems times have changed and left me behind I guess...

Nuke.......... You can post your Blackstone results here and BITOGers generally comment on the results. I just type out the text Blackstone sent - minus their comments, for I cannot send the lab result pic over the internet. I am not computer savy.

I also use my own corrugated small box and place Blackstone's free shipping label on the outside of the box. That way my sample bottle is hidden inside and never seems to get lost by the mail carrier.

I am OK with Blackstone comments and I never need TBN anyways. My OCIs are 4k, 5k and 6k for my three vehicles...... shorter than many members here.

Last edited:
Back