Which adhesive for door protection trim ?

I have this thin plastic outer piece that is separating from the main body trim on the doors (Oldsmobile). When it rains it collects and holds water, and I'm afraid as it gets worse it will fall off.

I tried a thin plastic emblem type adhesive (don't remember the brand) and that only worked for a few months. I think a double sided tape is going to be too thick and will cause a bulge and uneven appearance. Any suggestions on what adhesive product to use on this outer plastic trim that is lifting from the door molding?

1717985206349.jpeg

1717985244197.jpeg

You are correct about the emblem tape - thick and won't last long. To be honest the best way I have fixed these is with GEL super glue. Actually when I worked at the GM plant in Baltimore - the repair process used crazy glue on the cladding when they gapped from the body or didn't stick well!! True!!

Be careful of traditional "Gorilla Glue" because as it dries, it expands beyond the edges of your working area.
Use Gorilla Super Glue or LOCTITE Super Glue instead as they are stronger than the cheap Super Glue brands
Also, auto parts stores sell "Trim Adhesive" specifically designed for what you have.

Last edited:
Back