Which additive to stop seeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2003 Mazda MPV that's seeping a little at the oil pan. I've tightened the pan bolts, but it doesn't seem to have done much. I'd like to avoid changing the pan gasket. I was wondering whether a stop-leak might work, or something else that might swell the gasket a little. I was thinking maybe an OCI of Maxlife, but I also have a jug of LC20 on hand and have seem many different products at the auto parts store. Any ideas?

Thanks!

The pan gasket relies on a gasket pinch between the two metal surfaces to create the seal. If the seal is cracked the only remedy would be to replace the gasket. Perhaps a band aid such as RTV around the flange may help, but would only be a temporary fix, IMO.

You may want to check and be sure that your PCV valve and plumbing are operational and not causing excessive crankcase pressure, insulting the weak link in the gasket seal.

No such thing called "additives" that would fix your earaches, your wifey's PMS and such.

Unless it's a serious leak, I wouldn't worry about minor seeping.

Is it enough of a seep that you are getting drips? Most vehicles I've worked on had enough of a seep that the exterior of the pan had a film of oil on it, but no drips.

It's not really dripping, but the exhaust runs right under the pan, and I think it's the cause of an oil smell that I get up through the vents.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
So it is dripping, at least at elivated rpms?

Check your PCV Valve and the PCV Hose, another item too check is the valve cover baffles, if you have too much pressure then you will have leaks. If any of these items are clogged you will have oil leaks.

Check the simple stuff first.

c3po,

I just changed the pvc valve; so far there hasn't been much of a change. I still get the smell. I'm not sure where the baffles are on this engine. Any ideas?

Best,

ET16

Originally Posted By: ET16
c3po,

I just changed the pvc valve; so far there hasn't been much of a change. I still get the smell. I'm not sure where the baffles are on this engine. Any ideas?

Best,

ET16

Can you pull off your valve cover, the baffle will be where the PCV Valve goes into the valve cover, there is a post on page 4 in the oil additive section started by ( bmtechguy ) I think it was called Severly Sludged 2001 Toyota Avalon, he had some leaks and I think the engine was smoking, eventually he found out that his baffle for the PCV in the valve cover was totally clogged.

I would just read the post he made and then PM him.

I wouldn't say that it's dripping, sweating? The pcv on this engine is under the throttle body (Ford 3.0 Duratec). It doesn't seem to go into a valve cover. I think that I need to look elsewhere.

Best,

ET16

I wouldn't say that it's dripping, sweating? The pcv on this engine is under the throttle body (Ford 3.0 Duratec). It doesn't seem to go into a valve cover. I think that I need to look elsewhere.

Best,

ET16

I sent you a PM, did you get it.

I have the 2.5 Duratec and it does come from the valve cover after it comes from the oil/air separator thats bolted under there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back