Which 2 stroke oil for el-chepo 2 stroke generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how well they are built. But if the goal is long life, go with a motorcycle oil at 32 to 1. If, for some reason, they are actually built well, with quality bearings, 50 to 1 would be just fine.

My experience with Chinese engines is that the parts are seriously substandard. The fact that they last at all is a miracle.

Ran it yesterday (Stihl Ultra Synth. and Shell 93). Ran it a little over 6 hours and look to still have about 1/4 gallon left. Started on pull 2 the first time, I cut the choke a little too fast and killed it, got it to start under full choke again in 1 pull and it ran for about 5 hours. Went to the game, came out after the game and started it in 2 pulls and let it run about another hour/hour and a half.

Had a crock pot, battery charger, stereo on it - about 600-700watts on it.

Love this little thing. Smokes for a min or two, then gets warm and purrs right along.

This thing does sound like a neat and useful little toy.
Running as well as you have said it does, it can't be of too bad quality.
I guess Chicago is now part of China?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I guess Chicago is now part of China?

lol.gif
I recall "Buffalo" brand tools awhile ago too. No wonder why they were so awesome.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
I bought one for my birthday last weekend, around $63 out the door with the coupon. I should have gotten another one.

I would be all over something like that, if it existed up here.

Before they had them here in the States, I bought a 800W unit (w/12v outlet) from Princess Auto in Hamilton, Ontario. IIRC, it was about $120 CDN and we still had a favorable exchange rate at the time.
Not a bad genny for small tools and charging up the trailer batteries when needed.

As an update - I ran the generator last football season and put some hours one it.

After the season ended, I ran the gas out of it and put it up until yesterday. Last night I started getting the tailgate rig set up for this weekend's game and wanted to test run the genny.

Put about 1/2 gal of spare chainsaw gas in it, pulled 4 times and it cranked up. I got a little aggressive in cutting the choke (didn't really wait any time at all) and killed it. Re-set choke, pulled 2x, and had it running like a sewing machine.

After a few min I noticed that I was getting a gas drip from the fuel line. Apparently when I stored it last year I ran the gas out of the tank, but didn't turn off the fuel shutoff. Looks like the rubber line has rotted/split right at the petcock from the gas tank.

I'm sure it'll be an easy (and cheap) replacement, but I'm sure glad that I re-tested my $65 generator again this year
smile.gif

I am a little worried that I might have to upgrade this year later on though, we have some plans in the works for the tailgate trailer that will need quite a bit more power. I think that if our demand goes over 800W I might go ahead and get an inverter generator instead of running a pair of Harbor Freight's.

Last edited:
I assume that this is a Harbor Freight 800W generator or the same generator that is sold under a myriad of brands. I see lots of reports of the fuel lines failing early on these units. Does anyone know what diameter fuel line they generally use?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Most fuel lines for OPE larger than chainsaw/weed whacker is 1/4". They probably did not used braided fuel line. Get some braided fuel line and you will be GTG.

Seeing as how these are gravity fed non pressurized fuel systems I don't really see a need for braided hoses, however some nice fuel resistant Tygon fuel lines might be a good idea.

I sent my office assistant out to the local small engine shop to get the fuel line. Turns out that sending out a nice looking co-ed to the small engine shop gets you about 5 feet of free rubber fuel line. That should do me for awhile.

I have been using one similar small generator like that for hunting, a gio 950w.

It always runs for a week non-stop when I go hunting, didn't have any major problems with it yet. Only thing is the muffler bolts loosen after a while, you just have to tight them up.

I have been using the same oil that I use for my chainsaw which is Husqvarna brand oil. And 50:1 mix

6.1.auction.jpg

I finally purchased a HF Chicago brand 2 stroke Chinese generator. It runs fairly well, with a little 4 stroking under no-load conditions, but smooths right out under a 300W load. I'm using Avgas in it, with Mobil 1 MX2t. No smoke at all. I'm not sure if the muffler has a catalyst, but it certainly has no exhaust smell whatsoever.

I'll probably use it for building a hunting cabin in TN. I'm sure it will run small saws and power tool battery chargers. Plus it's nice and lightweight to go in the back of my Cessna.

So far, so good.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I finally purchased a HF Chicago brand 2 stroke Chinese generator. It runs fairly well, with a little 4 stroking under no-load conditions, but smooths right out under a 300W load. I'm using Avgas in it, with Mobil 1 MX2t. No smoke at all. I'm not sure if the muffler has a catalyst, but it certainly has no exhaust smell whatsoever.

I'll probably use it for building a hunting cabin in TN. I'm sure it will run small saws and power tool battery chargers. Plus it's nice and lightweight to go in the back of my Cessna.

So far, so good.

And they have a $79 coupon for that generator out right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back