Where 'oh where has the OHV gone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Where an engine makes power is determined primarily by intake manifold runner length/cross section, intake port volume/cross section, valve diameter, cam design and installed centerlines (excluding VVT/VCT). You can make a DOHC 4V a low-rpm stump puller just as easily as you can make a pushrod motor a high-rpm screamer with a gutless bottom-end.

+1
Its all about hom much air you are moving into the cylinder.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The LS engines are compact, where Ford's OHC engines are very wide. (The DOHC is wider than a Boss 429!)

4.6 DOHC - 26-5/8" wide
5.4 DOHC - 28-1/4" wide
BOSS 429 - 29.0" wide

Modular dimensions here: http://www.sullivanperformance.com/yvs450/tech/tech1.htm

No, not a 302, the new 5.0 DOHC. Won't begin to fit a Miata, it's WAY too wide.

Sounds like more hearsay.

The 4.6s are wider for sure, but they are also shorter than an LSx (lengthwise, 23-5/8" vs. 28" for LS1).

The LS engines are compact, where Ford's OHC engines are very wide. (The DOHC is wider than a Boss 429!)

4.6 DOHC - 26-5/8" wide
5.4 DOHC - 28-1/4" wide
BOSS 429 - 29.0" wide

Modular dimensions here: http://www.sullivanperformance.com/yvs450/tech/tech1.htm

Hmm, I had though I had heard that the 4.6 was the widest engine ever put into a Mustang when it first came out.

Originally Posted By: Duffman77

4.6 DOHC - 26-5/8" wide
5.4 DOHC - 28-1/4" wide
BOSS 429 - 29.0" wide

Hmm, I had though I had heard that the 4.6 was the widest engine ever put into a Mustang when it first came out.

Widest small block.

Best source that the DOHC is 30" wide
http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/tipsPDF/EngineDimensions.pdf

It's not 30" wide cam cover-to-cam cover.

AtTymenskys2.png

Enginedone.jpg

Hectorsparts001.jpg

That crate measures 32" wide externally and the 4V cam covers have ~2 inches of clearance on both sides of the lid internally, I built the crate and have to BoLs to prove it's external dimensions.

It should also be noted that Ford Racing's 4.6 dimensions are for fully dressed crate engines (with exhaust manifolds) while the listed 302 dimensions are for long-blocks. The EFI 302 (including intake manifold) is taller than the Mustang 4.6 DOHC.

Sullivan's numbers are spot on for a bare long-block (with cam and timing chain covers on).

Kaase himself measured a Boss 429 at 29" wide valve cover to valve cover.

Simply put, the Boss 429 is wider than a 4.6 DOHC.

You can make a DOHC 4V a low-rpm stump puller just as easily as you can make a pushrod motor a high-rpm screamer with a gutless bottom-end.

Theoretically, you can make a DOHC motor a stump puller. But having watched this since 1965, I am yet to see one done this way.

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
You can make a DOHC 4V a low-rpm stump puller just as easily as you can make a pushrod motor a high-rpm screamer with a gutless bottom-end.

Theoretically, you can make a DOHC motor a stump puller. But having watched this since 1965, I am yet to see one done this way.

Because, why would you? When high, low end torque can be achived with a single Cam.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but V engines lend themselves very well to a Cam in block layout, as one Cam can serve Two banks. Providing you go for a simple Bath tub or Wedge head combustion chamber. If you want a Hemi things can get complicated.

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup

You are not looking hard enough.

www.frontier-intl.com/Big%20Bore%20Comparison%20Guide.pdf

Last edited:
It should also be noted that Ford Racing's 4.6 dimensions are for fully dressed crate engines (with exhaust manifolds) while the listed 302 dimensions are for long-blocks. The EFI 302 (including intake manifold) is taller than the Mustang 4.6 DOHC.

Sullivan's numbers are spot on for a bare long-block (with cam and timing chain covers on).

Well exhaust manifolds count!!!!

Goto google images and put in "boss 429 engine" and you will see that the valve covers are the widest point on that engine.

Well exhaust manifolds count!!!!

Goto google images and put in "boss 429 engine" and you will see that the valve covers are the widest point on that engine.

429boss-lf.jpg

I see at least two things that would make the installed width of the Boss 9 greater than its 29" cover-to-cover width, and I'm not talking about the clutch fork.

Gotta keep the measurements apples to apples, cover to cover the Boss 9 is certainly wider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back