Where is the oil temperature sensor? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lean fuel code that on now for over a month now.
Mecanic plug the scan, everythimg works fine, except the oil temperature was -48 degrees....[censored]!!

I'm try to figure where is the oil temp sensor (ots) and just cant find it. Even the dealer refered me to the coolant sensor.

I just got a new temp coolant sensor. I'm just not sure if this is the real problem.

Is the coolant sensor read the oil temp too? Help please.

I wonder if the sensor is missing from your trim line but for whatever reason the computer has a pin for it. It's programmed to not throw a code though.

A lot of cars just use an ECT (engine coolant sensor) in a water jacket on the engine.

This sensor is to determine fuel mix, fuel mix after key off then on again etc. It is the most reliable liquid to gauge outside temps as well when it is cold, and to double check when to go into closed loop.

An oil temp sensor is generally a performance part, or a little bonus on a car. Then temp of the oil is more for the operator to keep tabs on for a more involved driver.

If I recall, a lot of engines, especially performance, have an area that is marked where you can drill to install a oil temp sensor.

If you don't have an "oil temp gauge" on your dash, you probably don't have an oil temp sensor. I could be wrong though...

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
...I'm try to figure where is the oil temp sensor (ots) and just cant find it. Even the dealer refered me to the coolant sensor...

Are you sure it is an ENGINE oil temperature sensor and not a TRANSMISSION oil temperature sensor?

I doubt that car has an Oil Temp. Sender. It does not have an Oil Pressure Gage & that is more common than Oil Temp. gage.

Don't they make a turbo version of that engine? I could see an oil temp sensor being involved in that, or any other hyundai engine that shares the computer just to knock the thing into cool-down, limp-home mode if it gets abused. They don't even have to display the temp to the driver.

Odd that its data bit is available to the scan tool. Or they poorly reverse engineered the thing for the scanner.

32.gif
on a saturn s series the ATF, coolant, and air temp sensors are all the same part.

While I cannot comment on a Hyundai, I can tell you that many cars do not have oil temp readouts on their dash but DO indeed monitor oil temp.

Just because it is not reported to the driver does not indicate that there is no oil temp sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back