Where have all the affordable fun to drive cars gone?

Fun to Drive, is a thing of the past.

People really don't understand just how lightweight, responsive and playful yesterday's cars were. Try test driving a well prepped "Restomod" 67 Mustang with a well built 347 cubic inch Ford small block, and a Holley doublepumper carb. Holy hell, that's fun.

Sure, today's cars are faster. The old 4 speed manual transmissions and utter lack of traction play a major role. Still, these things pull harder than most modern vehicles.

I'm probably getting a Jaguar F-type (S). About as much fun as is possible with a modern car.

A Focus with a manual would be good. Honda manual transmissions have a good reputation, and you don't have to get the Civic Si, as even the base Civic manual is good. For more room, the Accord was available in manual until 2019.

Your budget can get you a brand new Civic Sport hatchback with a 6-speed manual for 25k.

As somebody already mentioned. You can find an older BMW and have an absolute blast on the road. If it's a fun car then the occasional repair wouldn't be that inconvenient.

see my post here-

I still have my 2006 mustang Gt 5 speed manual that I bought new. It's fun to drive.
Exactly what I was thinking from what he wrote. Also a convertible camaro would be a good options of course both used and slightly older. Many with low mileage can be found as they sometimes are toys driven only in nice weather with top down.

Nissan Z or GTI, if new is a requirement

I haven’t found Nissans to be bad cars, but I know some haven’t had the best of luck.

I find having a sports car convertible to be therapeutic, but I know they aren’t as enamored. Think old British roadster, BMW Z3 or 1st gen Z4, etc. The Miata covers this well, but it sounds like its not a good fit for you.

My little BRZ (MY2013) was a delight...sold it for $500 more than I paid for it after a couple years of ownership....

Unfortunately the speed limit here was 60km/h...on the less monitored twisties it was great. My old worked 6 Toranas probably would have destroyed it to 90MPH, but corners, and the next part of the speedo, the Subaru would have won eaily...

Boxster, 996/997 Coupe or Cab, Z3, X4, BMW 3'er Cab, M3...... Buy well and these are all very entertaining and easy to live with. S2000 may be in your range, very easy to live with if not a bit extreme.

Back