Where do you think this oil leak is coming from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 70 MK III, 460. Here's some pics. Where do you think this oil leak is coming from? I can't tell if it's the head gasket or the timing chain cover.

oil_leak2.jpg

oil_leak3.jpg

oil_leak4.jpg

Clean the area well with brake cleaner then tape a small piece of thin cardboard over the area of head that appears damp with oil.

If the cardboard has oil on the outside it is being blown by the fan from the timing cover, if its wet from the reverse side the head gasket is likely the cause.
From the pic it looks like the timing cover to me with the fan blowing it around a little.

Your second photo clearly shows it is coming from the top and running down ,,Thermostat housing

Originally Posted By: skyship
Why the blue paint??

Maybe because that is the color Ford painted their engines back then.
To the OP, clean the area with some rags or paper towels and hit it with some brake cleaner. Check the area every few miles to see where the leak is coming from. I'm betting timing chain cover, but the intake manifolds are notorious for leaking also. You've got to remember that it's probably original and 40+ years old. If it really is the timing cover, replace the timing chain set while you have it apart as a preventive measure.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: skyship
Why the blue paint??

Maybe because that is the color Ford painted their engines back then.
To the OP, clean the area with some rags or paper towels and hit it with some brake cleaner. Check the area every few miles to see where the leak is coming from. I'm betting timing chain cover, but the intake manifolds are notorious for leaking also. You've got to remember that it's probably original and 40+ years old. If it really is the timing cover, replace the timing chain set while you have it apart as a preventive measure.

I just had the intake manifold gasket replaced by a trusted mechanic about 6 months ago. If it's that leaking, they get to fix it for free!
smile.gif

Given the limited view I would guess passenger valve cover and maybe the distributor. I see a trail on top of the manifold.

Does this motor have an open breather? Any blow-by coming out of the filler cap when it's open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back