Where Do You Store Your Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have decided to start stashing oil again. It was because of this current Pennzoil rebate......

Anyway. I have always stored my oil in the garage. I have been thinking it may be a good idea to start putting it as well as my filter stash in the basement in a climate controlled environment. It gets pretty hot here in the summer and really cold here in the winter.

Where do you store your stash?

I typically store my oil in the engine crankcase and on the garage shelf.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Dining room table...

Spoken like a true RP user......

That RP was a gift so it cost me all 5 seconds of dumping it in. I use SOPUS products and some amsoil

I store my oil in the same place we have stored it on our farm since the 60's. In an old one car garage that we call the oil shed. Drums, cases, gear oils, greases, diesel fuel additives, etc, it all goes to the oils shed. No insulation there, so it gets the heat, the cold, and even a few mice. I don't view oil as being like freeze dried food or ammunition that needs a more controlled environment to stay good.

And like the others mentioned, the other storage place for me is in the engines. I can't use the store shelf idea for oil storage, simply because I don't buy any oils that are sold in the stores. I order in bulk and have it delivered, so that limits the storage options.

Outside patio shed for the masses but all my mos2 and LL liquimoly 5w30 sits in utility closet next to Snuggle fabric softener and the toilet paper.

The garage has always been my stash holder.
If I'm stuck doing a cold weather change, which I try to avoid, I'll bring the required quantity into the house the day before just so that it can warm up and pour more easily as well as saturate and fill the oil filter with less potential for damage.
I've always figured that the oil suffers the same low temperatures as well as much higher ones in the sump, so subjecting it to an annual temperature swing of maybe 100F in a sealed container in the garage shouldn't hurt it.
If I'm going to have filters laying around for more than a year or so, I'll keep them in the basement, since this subjects them to less potential condensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back