Where do you grocery shop?

Stop n Shop. Truthfully, I like the people that work there; Linda, MaryLee, Jen, James, Patty. I still value a friendly smile and a "hello". That's what keeps me there. It's a big market with a small town feel especially since I shop fairly early on a Sunday morning when there is not a crowd.

We mostly go to Publix. I will say that Publix is going downhill fast, I'm sure the conference rooms in Lakeland are slap full of 30-somethings with great ideas. It's showing dearly.

Their meat is terrible, the ground chuck has been like cardboard the last 3 months. I've started making a special trip to Fresh Market to buy meat...we are also buying more produce there. We've all but quit buying fresh stuff at Publix, there is a local hydroponic farm next door to my office that grows greens. They've been doing this for almost 10 years.

I'd dearly like a Whole Foods or another Fresh Market closer to our house, but glad there's one within 20 minutes.

Trader Joes - I cannot for the life of me see the hype. It's all pre-packaged, processed foods. There is no meat market. Everything there is cryovac'ed or boxed. What in the CBH is the attraction? It's all no-name stuff that is 14 cents cheaper than the regular grocery stores. It's generally full of dirty hippies or wannabes, throwing some cause of the week in your face... and God forbid if you're not wearing a beard, shaggy hair, glasses and a knit hat, you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. Tons of people around here are clamoring for one. I don't see it. They are like a cleaner Aldi.

Ditto on Market Basket. We have a Hannaford in the opposite direction but they usually cost more and usually aren't on our typically traveled path.

We'll order some stuff from BJ's (like Costco) but not a lot. They seem to have the best deal on eggs. There's one close to work, so the wife will arrange a pickup order and I just go in to pick it up. But most daily food we get from MB and have to browse a bit to figure out what we want to eat during the week (or find meat on sale, the wife seems to plan around that more than any set meal plan).

Wegmans first
Costco bulk items
ShopRite to fill in certain items
Trader Joe’s for specialty items
HMart for other specialty items
Acme in town if desperate
StopNShop rarely
Target for some sundries

Always use the various apps to compare prices

Fry's for groceries
Usually Costco for bulk. Sometimes Sam's Club.
Occasionally Aldi or Walmart, they have the best prices
Rarely Safeway, I'm not a billionaire like @dishdude 🤣

Even as a billionaire I can't afford to shop at Safeway! I just go there for carspotting.

Aldi and Trader Joe's is where I shop the most, Costco for frozen stuff and Target for a few incidentals.

Walmart and Kroger mainly. We go to Food Lion and Food City for the stuff they don’t have. For meats it’s Fresh Market or Earth Fare usually. They are more expensive but the meat at Kroger and Walmart is just disappointing.

My problem with Safeway is their borderline bait and switch labelled deals...........

That's exactly my problem with Safeway (and to be fair, other traditional supermarkets). They have some decent sale prices, but the hoops they make you jump through to get them just isn't worth it when there are other options.

This baby, call it Product A, is $0.29 each.............................label right on product, $0.29. Without looking around a lot you get A. In the cart.

Little do you know label on product B a couple products over says "You need to buy 3 of us "B"s to get the deal over on A.

Safeway in a nutshell.

At 99 Ranch, do you overfill the DIY takeout boxes by 300 percent as is common? After all, the price is based on the box size and not weight. What's another 9 inches to the skilled shopper? :eek:
One place I worked I had a coworker who would walk out of the serving area of the cafeteria on clam chowder day with almost 2 bowls of soup in one bowl. He had a system where he'd prop up crackers around the bowl to hold the stuff that went above the rim of the bowl, kind of like the walls on a stake truck. Not sure how he got away with that but he did...

But I digress. Meijer or Aldi - depends on what I need and which direction I'm heading since the stores are on opposite sides of town. Aldi is good for staples like milk and some breads but I've had bad luck with fruit. Occasionally I'll hit Walmart or the Jewel's (yeah, I'm from the Chicago area) but I have to either be desperate or something has to be on a really good sale.

And sometimes even Menards will have interesting stuff. When they first dabbled in groceries, they were the cheapest place to get milk. Last Memorial Day they had a blow-out on Klement's bratwurst so I bought some to cook up that day and some more to freeze for future use. They're also my go-to to stock up on LaCroix water.

One place I worked I had a coworker who would walk out of the serving area of the cafeteria on clam chowder day with almost 2 bowls of soup in one bowl. He had a system where he'd prop up crackers around the bowl to hold the stuff that went above the rim of the bowl, kind of like the walls on a stake truck. Not sure how he got away with that but he did...
🤣

Costco gets most of our grocery business, probably 60%-70%. The rest is with local independent grocery shops and specialty shops eg. bakery, butcher etc. A few things we get at Walmart eg. Coca Cola and some canned goods.

Personally we go to Costco once a month for a decent sized haul, then fill in the gaps throughout the month with Walmart and Target. Occasionally I'll go to Safeway for a few things they have that the others don't. I think I want to try Trader Joes more often moving forward as everyone always raves about it.

I used to be an exclusively Safeway shopper as I didn't mind spending a little more for a clean store with very helpful employees, but the pricing just went insane and if I compare the exact same items at Target or Walmart it's a huge difference and I can't justify that.

I do often use the "pick-up" option so I just park in the designated spot and they bring my stuff out to the car. Plus I've noticed if I go into the store I lack discipline and end up buying additional items that I find interesting but didn't really need so it saves me time and money.

I shop Saturday morning at 7 AM and I’m in & out of Publix within 15 minutes.

I absolutely hate grocery shopping and waiting 20 minutes in line at Deli.
I have to get 1 Lb of sweet ham for my dogs. 🐶
They go CRAZY for sweet ham.

Don’t take your kids shopping with you and you’ll stay within your budget.

I have noticed that Aldi charges different prices in different zip codes apparently based on income levels in the area.....I find this to be another form of 'taxation'.
That unique to Aldi? Thought stores in different locations typically charge what the market will bear?

FWIW pretty sure the local Aldi prices many of their comparable staples to the Walmart that is 1/2 mile away minus $0.01.

I only have my shopping done at our local grocery store, Russ's Market. Small town of 5000, so it's either them or Fareway.
Either place is pricey, compared to Walmart and Aldi. But I don't drive, so not much choice.

I do have the Daughter pick up toilet paper, paper towels and non cold items from Sam's Club by the case. They last a long time for a single man.

Back