Monro/Tire Choice & wages listed on websites

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found out that a tire place down the street from me has been taken over by Monro Tire/Tire Choice, which is evidently an east coast company. I decided to look into their company, and found a couple of websites that claim to give companies' average pay for particular jobs.

I found that the store I've been buying tires from for the last several years, Americas Tire, has noticeably lower pay rates than Monro, or the other national chains that I searched for—on payscale.com and indeed.com. AT was paying $11-13/hour for the same jobs that other chains were paying $14/hr for.

I'm not sure what to make of that, because I was under the impression that AT paid their employees pretty good. I have gone there for several years, and I often see the same faces year after year—at least at the local place I go to. When I see people working at one place for a long time, that tells me that they are getting fairly well compensated or else they'd be going elsewhere.

On the other hand, I also saw on these sites that Target pays a bit more than Walmart does, for the same job, and Costco is paying 2-3 bucks/hr more than either. That dovetails with what I've heard about pay at WM, Target, & Costco, so that suggests that these wage/salary sites are in fact accurate?

I went back and looked at the number of samples for what those sites called a "Tire Technician," and here is what I found for these numbers:

Americas Tire $13.79 (33 samples)
Discount Tire $11.51 (56 samples); $12.84 (410 samples)
Les Schwab $14.55 (14 samples)
Firestone $14.58 (17 samples)
Goodyear $16.85 (25 samples)

Like I said, what little I have heard about wages suggests that the sites are accurate, but on the other hand, I was surprised that AT did so poorly. Looking at the number of samples for each hourly wage, it is easy to look at that and think that perhaps with more samples, Les Schwab and Firestone wages would be dropping some.

I'm wondering if anyone here has worked for any of these places, and could comment on wages at these locations? How does AT/DT stack up to the competition?

Thoughts?

I suspect Discount / America's Tire pay commission for upselling, the most well known one being the road hazard warranty.

They also steer unsuspecting buyers to particular tires, which I deduce management wants to sell because of greater margins on them. So there is probably some bonus for that.

Last time I went in, they misread my tread depth to try and scare me into buying new tires as rainy season begins.

Many times I have liked the service and prices but I've had a few problems with them so apart from warranty claims, I think I'll go to Costco in future.

That was the reason why I got so curious, once I saw a site that referenced them.

I absolutely believe in supporting higher wages. Costco for tires is a problem b/c they are across town, and I don't like waiting for hours to get rotations. AT gets me out in 45 mins, and they are a couple of minutes away. AT also has an incredible selection.

Of course, the question is, how much above AT prices am I willing to go? I'm not sure I have an answer for that. One other factor is that I'll already be giving up a nice prorate from AT on my tires if I go anywhere else, so I'm not sure how much more per tire I'm willing to pay, to lose out on $100-200 prorate. I'll take this on a case by case basis, I suppose.

So yes, wages are a factor, but no, wages are not the only one.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
No help here but will you change tire stores because of wages?

Last edited:
VIP (Northern New England) paid their tire techs $7.50/hr plus $7/ hr flat rate back in 2011. The only way to make more money was to work faster. There was an 80-point upsell checklist but one only got brownie points for filling that out.

Which brings up an interesting question--are the numbers that those websites gave for each company, really comparing apples to apples? Were there any bonuses or other wages paid--which might explain why I see the same folks working at the AT stores I've gone to, time and time again.

Originally Posted by eljefino
VIP (Northern New England) paid their tire techs $7.50/hr plus $7/ hr flat rate back in 2011. The only way to make more money was to work faster. There was an 80-point upsell checklist but one only got brownie points for filling that out.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
I suspect Discount / America's Tire pay commission for upselling, the most well known one being the road hazard warranty.

They also steer unsuspecting buyers to particular tires, which I deduce management wants to sell because of greater margins on them. So there is probably some bonus for that.

Last time I went in, they misread my tread depth to try and scare me into buying new tires as rainy season begins.

Many times I have liked the service and prices but I've had a few problems with them so apart from warranty claims, I think I'll go to Costco in future.

That might be standard in the industry. I have my own tread depth gauge and every time they tend to read one or two 32nds less than my reading. I use to think they were grinding it down but that would read high. So maybe they were just too close to the side to get a low reading.

Discount has added road hazard to my bill without asking if I wanted it.

Also they have tried to steer me away from the lower end tires saying they were only appropriate for a "full size spare".

This was in reference to when I purchased a set of their house brand tires H rated, with 50k warranty for my wife's scion.

My response, hmm I don't think an H rated tire with a 540 treadwear rating is only good for a spare tire.

Also they try to force me into replacing my spare tire every time I go, as well as selling TPMS sensors not needed.

Don't think it's that simple, does it show what year the data was collected? Does it show rate relative to the median income in that area (cost of living adjustment)? Does it track reporting IP addresses to weed out a CSR tech padding the numbers with false reports (being too lazy to generate new IP addy for each)?

Then there's the case of load, a busy store may make the tech put in a hard day's work, while some others have guys goofing around all day and taking hours to get tires put on. They might opt for lower pay for an easy day.

Pick the one you trust most, then give your installer a tip if it eases your mind. Taking your business elsewhere doesn't help that guy...

Not sure I agree with that approach. I would prefer to put my consumer dollars with a business that will pay its employees better. If one of two shops has to go under, I'd rather it be a shop that pays its employees peanuts. As far as a tip goes, I'd rather put my consumer dollars where the workers get paid a good wage all day, every day, instead of relying on a once a year tip.

You do raise some good points about how valid & accurate those numbers are, although, like I said above, the reported numbers for Costco, WM, and Target all seem to be pretty accurate.

Originally Posted by Dave9

Pick the one you trust most, then give your installer a tip if it eases your mind. Taking your business elsewhere doesn't help that guy...

Originally Posted by paulri
Not sure I agree with that approach. I would prefer to put my consumer dollars with a business that will pay its employees better. If one of two shops has to go under, I'd rather it be a shop that pays its employees peanuts. As far as a tip goes, I'd rather put my consumer dollars where the workers get paid a good wage all day, every day, instead of relying on a once a year tip.

You do raise some good points about how valid & accurate those numbers are, although, like I said above, the reported numbers for Costco, WM, and Target all seem to be pretty accurate.

Originally Posted by Dave9

I think the way the tip works is that you tip them before they do the job so they'll do a good job and not afterwards. My boss does that when he gets a set of tires at Costco. They've always done a good job whenever I go there. In addition to my Mercedes, I always see other cars there like Audi, BMW, Corvette, etc so I guess maybe the people there stay for the tips?

There is no way you can figure out who is paying what. Too many variables like location, benefits etc. If your feeling so guilty, just tip the kid that puts on your tires and call it a day.

I don't see this as whether or not I feel guilty, so much as getting people who work for a living, the best deal they can get. And I'm still convinced that my supporting businesses that pay their workers more, will in the long run give them more than simply paying a tenspot or even less, to the guy who installs my tires every few years.

But I see your point on variables making it hard to compare wages & salaries, although when I see Costco up noticeably over Walmart wages, I think it is a fair deduction that Costco pays more.

Originally Posted by philipp10
There is no way you can figure out who is paying what. Too many variables like location, benefits etc. If your feeling so guilty, just tip the kid that puts on your tires and call it a day.

Last edited:
Theoretically, you have a point there, but a quick online search has led me to nothing but stellar reviews of Costco's benefits as well.

Originally Posted by madRiver
If they pay more and offer no benefits or very expensive ones is it better?

Originally Posted by paulri
Theoretically, you have a point there, but a quick online search has led me to nothing but stellar reviews of Costco's benefits as well.

Originally Posted by madRiver
If they pay more and offer no benefits or very expensive ones is it better?

Walmart pays their store managers a whole whole whole lot more $$$ than even the next person who is second in command at the same store... Example... This was 1996 by the way.... Store manager at the Walmart in the same shopping center as I worked in ( I worked at Winn Dixie by the way..) was making $150,000 that year.... The assistant manager was paid 40-44k dollars... My store Co manager was going to make 46-48k dollars that year... He interviewed for Walmart in Hampton Va where it was getting ready to be a new Supercenter... And Walmart offered him only $40,000... My boss Darrell told them no way, no how I am taking a pay cut to go there.

Makes me wonder if there is such a huge difference in pay between #1 person in a Walmart store vs #2 person... Then what do they pay the District mangers?? Regional mangers?? Etc etc....

Talk about top heavy pay increases...
Ohh and the #1 manager at Winn Dixie was going to make about $65,000-70,000 that same year.

Walmart though is not way, way, way off in terms of pay scale in the retail business. $1-2 an hour is not a massive difference. A difference yes... $4+ difference would be a lot more noticeable to the end recipient.

Last edited:
$2/hr is an extra $80 per week, before taxes & withholding. $320/mo? Sounds like a nice raise to me.

Right now, Costco is looking better and better, with opening up at $15/hr (with an average higher than that). The real problem for me, though is that it will most likely take a LOT more time to get tires put on & rotated, than at my local AT. I'll have to ask around to see how our local Costco is with this. But this would mean I wouldn't have to pay any more for tires, b/c Costco will price match (at least one local customer told me they did for him).

I would suggest focusing on the work they do, service they provide and ease of doing business there and less on price and how much their employees make in total compensation.

I heard the local walmart tire lube has begun starting pay of $16 an hour. That's pretty good considering the raises and other benefits there. Wal-mart doesn't pay a lot more to their salaried people when you factor in the extra hours they work.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Discount has added road hazard to my bill without asking if I wanted it.

Also they have tried to steer me away from the lower end tires saying they were only appropriate for a "full size spare".

This was in reference to when I purchased a set of their house brand tires H rated, with 50k warranty for my wife's scion.

My response, hmm I don't think an H rated tire with a 540 treadwear rating is only good for a spare tire.

Also they try to force me into replacing my spare tire every time I go, as well as selling TPMS sensors not needed.

Unfortunately they have to upsell every customer.

Regional manager can see who's meeting the sales quota.

I hate when they pull out my engine air filter and cabin filter without asking and show me how dirty it is. ...¤

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back