Where do you find your info outside of BITOG?

On my current OCI I have Valvoline EP 5w30 in my 5.0. Not upset with it at all, but I do enjoy running through here from time to time when it gets close to time for a OC to see if there is anything I just need to try (plus, I just like to see what's happening).

Had a buddy in our store the other day talking about Schaeffer's and his company using it and swearing by it. The high dollar oils hadn't really been on my radar since quitting Amsoil after not really seeing any benefits from spending $90+ an OC. Schaeffer's are relatively local to me, so I thought I'd do some reading anyway. In my recent searching and reading I went back to Valvoline's website and looked up the PI sheet for the EP 5w30 and just started comparing it to Schaeffer's and some other FS oils just for fun.

My question is, when you all cannot find some oil information (TBN, NOACK, HTHS, etc.) you're curious to know on BITOG, what are your go to sites? The comparison that has me intrigued is comparing Valvoline EP 5w30 to Valvoline FSHM Maxlife 5w30. On the PI sheets, you'd may as well consider it the same oil, but I would have to assume there are additives that are not the same that a VOA would help with, but I cannot find any. I know from reading other posts that EP has a good amount of moly, but where are you all finding this information? I have done broad searches as well as specific forum searches and after a bunch of reading, I don't really feel I have found what I am looking for and not sure if I am searching the wrong way or it just isn't on here. Thanks!

Here are those PI's for anyone interested:
Valvoline EP 5w30

Valvoline FSHM 5w30

PQIA is one source. They are kinda drying up on info lately. Any VOA will show elements but not how well they perform. The oil comparison seems to be limited to approvals. But be careful not to choose an oil with the most approvals, especially from the car manufacturer. Some oils are adjusted for that car manufacturer’s needs. (IE. a GPF and low SAPS)

On my current OCI I have Valvoline EP 5w30 in my 5.0. Not upset with it at all, but I do enjoy running through here from time to time when it gets close to time for a OC to see if there is anything I just need to try (plus, I just like to see what's happening).

Had a buddy in our store the other day talking about Schaeffer's and his company using it and swearing by it. The high dollar oils hadn't really been on my radar since quitting Amsoil after not really seeing any benefits from spending $90+ an OC. Schaeffer's are relatively local to me, so I thought I'd do some reading anyway. In my recent searching and reading I went back to Valvoline's website and looked up the PI sheet for the EP 5w30 and just started comparing it to Schaeffer's and some other FS oils just for fun.

My question is, when you all cannot find some oil information (TBN, NOACK, HTHS, etc.) you're curious to know on BITOG, what are your go to sites? The comparison that has me intrigued is comparing Valvoline EP 5w30 to Valvoline FSHM Maxlife 5w30. On the PI sheets, you'd may as well consider it the same oil, but I would have to assume there are additives that are not the same that a VOA would help with, but I cannot find any. I know from reading other posts that EP has a good amount of moly, but where are you all finding this information? I have done broad searches as well as specific forum searches and after a bunch of reading, I don't really feel I have found what I am looking for and not sure if I am searching the wrong way or it just isn't on here. Thanks!

Valvoline EP 5w30

Valvoline FSHM 5w30
Google OIL XXX and PDS

The smart people have developed specs for oil and I trust them. If the oil meets specs, it will meet my needs. I don't care about moly, TBN, Noack, or HTHS. If they are important, they are included in the spec.

PQIA is one source. They are kinda drying up on info lately. Any VOA will show elements but not how well they perform. The oil comparison seems to be limited to approvals. But be careful not to choose an oil with the most approvals, especially from the car manufacturer. Some oils are adjusted for that car manufacturer’s needs. (IE. a GPF and low SAPS)
Thanks. I will check that out! I just figured a VOA would be the easiest way to see the differences in the new oil since they aren't really listed on the PI sheets.

The smart people have developed specs for oil and I trust them. If the oil meets specs, it will meet my needs. I don't care about moly, TBN, Noack, or HTHS. If they are important, they are included in the spec.
Not looking so I can switch or say those smart people aren't doing it right. I'm probably going to stick with Valvoline EP for the next couple OC's and probably switch my wife's Acadia over to it, too. I just like comparing and seeing what differences are. And what exactly is different about the 2 has me interested to know as they seem identical on paper and cannot find that distinguishing info on BITOG at the moment. Thanks!

Where do you find your info outside of BITOG?
1653434044829.jpg

For me i learn about baseoils from lubrication explained then expand with google searches and see where the ole interweb takes me. For specific oils lately its been pqia especially for noack values of oils that dont publish it or like valvoline who leave a vague <15% noack value

I use my uncles brothers cousins sisters nephews brother.

He told me that he knows a guy that once tore a motor down in 1984 and the engine with pennzoil had sludge so I’m going to go with his expert opinion and run a 20w50 in my 0w20 truck.

Actually I look on the back of the container. If it meets the spec for my engine requirements I buy it.

I may look at PQIA for some specs but that’s not the be all end all

Valvoline EP 5w30

Valvoline FSHM 5w30
The Valvoline EP may be my next oil change if I decide to try something other than the current Edge (y)

My father in law. By the way, quaker state is junk oil which will cause sludging. 😁
My uncle thinks synthetic oil is made from vegetable oil and that it gets all thin and ruined after 2500 miles. Thats why you should run the 50/50 (blend) because then when the synthetic goes bad you still got regular oil that wont go bad

Valvoline EP 5w30

Valvoline FSHM 5w30
What do you expect to see from a VOA or UOA? PCMO's have chemistry in them that will not show up on a cheap $30.00 analysis.

Those OA's only show the virgin and used oil conditions. They tell you little except maybe some warnings about a head gasket leak. A UOA without a VOA of the same oil being used is useless.

Last edited:
I use what ever major brand oils that are on sale and meets the specs, otherwise Mobil1 0w-40 the generic for all vehicle oil except the turbo DI and I am really not sure about that.

I use the oil specification called up in the owner’s manual/workshop manual. If the oil called up required ACEA, API, ILSAC etc, then that is the oil I will use.

I am not a chemical engineer unlike some people on this site and therefore am not qualified to determine the use or suitability of any lubricant not called up and that is the reason that I rely on the specifications called up for a particular vehicle.

I have zero interest in the oil brand only the specifications

Back