when to switch to synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Castrol dino oil in my wife's new Intrepid R/T because I've heard you need to run non-synthetic during a break-in period. Is that true and if so is it too early to switch to synthetic at 6000 miles?

It's definitely not too early, go for it.

Keep in mind, many new cars come factory fill with synthetics, such as the Corvette, Porsches, Vipers and many BMWs and Mercedes cars.

dancer, non syn break in not needed for this engine, is this 3.5 V6 ?

Go ahead and run any oil you choose.

What kind of MPG do you see with this car ? I have heard that they do very well on the road but not so great in town MPG.

Terry

It is the 3.5L engine-245 hp V6-lots of fun. When my wife drives it she gets about 18 mpg around town. When I drive it... well it's less than 18 mpg. I didn't know that any new cars come from the factory with synthetic oil. I just wanted to be sure before changing over.

2003 VW 2.0 litre engine.

I changed at 500 miles to Mobil 1 0W-40.
I now have 4,000 miles and all is well.

Did the same on my wife's new 2002 VW last year.
Her's burns a little more oil than mine.
However we drive diferently and she is severe service stop and start short journeys.

I have an '03 Dakota 4.7 with 5 speed manual,that currently has 300 miles on it (brand new). I've been told that AMSOIL in my transmission would improve shifting (and hopefully mileage) but am concerned about proper break-in times for both engine and transmission. Can you enlighten me as to best practice here?

Engine.......and.......Transmission

quote:

New engines or engine components generate high wear metals to begin with and generally contain debris from machining and assembly. It is more beneficial to allow these wear metals to collect in an inexpensive motor oil than to circulate throughout the crankcase for extended periods in a synthetic motor oil. By operating the vehicle to its first drain interval with a petroleum oil, these wear metals and manufacturing debris collect in the oil and are then flushed out of the crankcase when drained. This allows for a much cleaner operating environment for the synthetic lubricant.

R2R,

I like to run 5000-6000 miles on petroleum oil before putting Amsoil in for the first time, unless the particular engine came with synthetic from the factory, as is the case with some German cars. I'd suggest doing two, 3000 mile oil changes using any decent petroleum oil and then putting in Amsoil. Either their 5w-30 or 10w-30 will work fine in this application.

In the case of automatic transmissions, I like to make sure the unit is functioning normally and isn't defective before putting in Amsoil. I'd go 20k-30k/1 year on the factory fluid and then change to the synthetic ATF. If possible do a total change and drain the torque convertor as well as the oil pan.

TooSlick

quote:

Originally posted by red2rebel:
I have an '03 Dakota 4.7 with 5 speed manual,that currently has 300 miles on it (brand new). I've been told that AMSOIL in my transmission would improve shifting (and hopefully mileage) but am concerned about proper break-in times for both engine and transmission. Can you enlighten me as to best practice here?

Well, although I am a big Amosil user I personally believe Redline makes a better gear oil with more variety of weights in the GL-4 grade. In my experience the RedLine MT-90 or the MTL or their 50-50 mix of MT-90 and MTL will make those gears shift like soft butter, it did for me. I tried the Amsoil first but still have cold shift issues.

However, i would hold off for a while before switching, at least 5-10,000 miles to let all the shavings etc. get removed and floating around before draining. Now, engine, I say first oil change to go to synthetic, 3-7500 miles

I have broken in 4 cars in the last 5 years with Mobil 1. All had the oil drained within 1000 miles. One was 30 miles. I'm not taking issue with anyone on this subject. Its just my practice.

Viper, 'Vette, Mercedes, AMG (Also I think Mustang??), come with Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back