When to do first oil change on pressure washer?

So iv used my new pressure washer and its got around 4 hours of running time on it. Its stored away now till next years garden cleaning time.
When should i do its first oil change?
Owners manual says 50 hour run time then change oil.
Should i wait for it to reach that 50 time or run it next year as is till it has 8-10 hours run time then change it?
Currently its using shell 5w40 fully synthetic and plan on using same oil again since i got some left over from the car.

I'd do a short OCI. I broke mine in with a 1 hour OCI, then changed it again at 10 hours. After that you could follow the recommended interval.

ok will get the oil change done. also is it ok to mix oil? i wont have enough 5w40 have about 400ml left in the bottle but i do have 5w30. can it be mixed and used or should i buy oil?

ok will get the oil change done. also is it ok to mix oil? i wont have enough 5w40 have about 400ml left in the bottle but i do have 5w30. can it be mixed and used or should i buy oil?
Use what you have. Mix it. It will be fine. Use the 5W-40 and top it off with 5W-30. No problem.

Manuals all give what seems to me to be a longer than necessary period before the first OCI. Some things it may not matter as much, but id think that a pressure washer would be running under load most of the time; the more load the earlier, the shorted the intial OCI, IMO...

I change the oil in my OPE (no hour meter) every winter with M1 15W-50. No issues starting here in NC year-round.

I don't give too much thought to break-in either; the stuff runs how it runs.

When I broke in my new replacement Predator 212 for my log splitter, I screwed it to a piece of pressure treated board and ran it thought a couple of 15/20 min run / cool cycles and then changed the oil to Penn Platinum 10W30. It's been running awesome for several years now. The reason I broke it in on a board was that I converted the splitter from a vert to horz. engine.

Mixing oil is fine. It's more important to actually have oil in the unit. My friend gave me his Generac 2700 pressure washer and said it wouldn't run. It had about 5 drops on oil in it! Thank God for the low oil switches they use now.

I think its the general thought that regular changes are probably more important than what is used. Not s'ying 10w60,but a reasonable oil and reasonable interval is as good as anything. Our lawnmower running Redline 5w30 lol.

Hmm just noticed all the 5w30 stuff i got is ford spec m2c-913d which is resource conserving. Is that gonna be fine?

After 2 hours
I look at it this way, you have no oil filter on a small engine. You will get chips and dirt from manufacturing and assembling. Get it out A.S.A.P.

On small engines I usually let them go about 5 hrs. on the original oil then go to the manufacturers recommended interval. Mixing the oil should be fine, but I prefer to use all the same brand/weight on an oil change. Sometimes if I've been using a specific brand for a long time and run out of it and am going to change the engine over to another oil I will mix some of the old brand oil with whatever I'm changing it over to instead of not using it at all.

After 2 hours
I look at it this way, you have no oil filter on a small engine. You will get chips and dirt from manufacturing and assembling. Get it out A.S.A.P.
Yeah … with my new 457cc Chonda I did a warm up the 10w30 it came with … dumped … Then a couple hours with QSUD 10w30 … Dumped … Filled with Redline 10w30 … Ran to hot … On standby

If it were me, I would use up the 5W-40 I had in the garage and top it off with the 5W-30.
There certainly is no harm in spending a few dollars and getting another jug of 5W-40 if that makes you feel better (we're not breaking the bank here).

It is a new engine on your pressure washer. You should probably give it another short interval change anyway to wash out the remaining break-in glitter. Use what you have for the short interval, then next change put in "The Best".

Back