When to clean k&n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
I would like to see a UOA of an engine with a dirty K&N filter. It's possible the filter lets more dirt past the filter when its dirty as there is no exposed oily foam for the dirt to stick to.

My advice if you want long engine life is to go back to a stock paper filter.

I am guessing you have already caused some engine damage.

+1

Not to say all experiences are same but I had a friend with one who kept getting codes,hesiation and stalling and engine oil that would get very dirty very fast. It caused him 2k in repairs because the filter kept sucking in dirt and water into the engine..he was told to switch to stock airbox and once that was done...no issues.. I would suggest going back to stock airbox and OEM filter or paper filter. You might not have any issues now but it might cause some down the road. If you are going to keep the filter I would clean it once a year, but my understanding is they dont filter as well..i guess it depends what you are looking for in a car...

I always felt like 50k was too soon. I've always cleaned them between 75-90k. I know I'm probably running on borrowed time with all of the engine damge they have caused, but that damage has ever yet to rear its ugly head after about a combined million miles on 4 vehicles. And no, i've never had to clean or change a MAF either. Guess I've just been lucky...

Clean Every 50-70k. And clean it lightly letting it dry for a day or two. Then give it a light spray of the oil and again let it dry for a day or two (if you can) before throwing it back in for the next 3-5 years.

If you only need to clean it after 50k to 70k or 3 to 5 years, it's not trapping the dirt. Glad I run an OEM dirt blocker, and not a rock catcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back