When to change oil on new Saturn Ion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystic, my wife's '03 cavalier has this Ecotec and I LOVE it. It runs very smooth and strong. Oil changes are real easy. Use a 1 1/4 inch socket to remove the filter cap, snap the old filter out of the cap, snap a new filter onto the cap and replace filter/cap to engine. Don't over-tighten. I did my first change at 2K and I use Chevron 10w30 in warm weather and 5w30 in cold. I get the AC filter at my Chevy dealer for $5.

mikemc, thanks for the information. So far I am very impressed with the engine-it is smooth, reasonably powerful for a small car, and gets good fuel mileage. Thanks for the advice on changing the oil filter element. Actually, I really like this concept. All you replace is the oil filter element and you can see what condition it is in when you do an oil change and remove the oil filter element.

I am undecided about what motor oil to use. Chevron Supreme had really run great in my previous car and for the next change I may just use it, since for safety I will probably change the oil soon. Then I am thinking about using either Schaeffer's or a synthetic oil. For various reasons I am kind of turned off from various synthetic oils (Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil). Some cost too much, some do not have an API starburst symbol, and some are reputed to be too thin. The three oils that have really impressed me are Chevron Supreme (in a conventional oil-I have never used the Chevron Supreme Synthetic), Schaeffer's, and the German Castrol. With winter coming the German Castrol would be great.

Based on my personal experience (I am no motor oil expert) the Chevron Supreme stands head and shoulders over other conventional motor oils.

Schaeffer's is a remarkable motor oil and I had a very good UOA using it.

It is too bad the German Castrol is hard to find because it is excellent. It flows good in the cold and protects at higher temperatures.

I wish I had experience with the Chevron Synthetic since maybe I would use it in the wintertime. But I don't have any experience with it and I can't find the 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back