When to add fuel additives

mez

Hi Guys.

Planning a 900 mile trip (stopping for gas only) next week. Is it better now to add Techron before the long trip with doing local city/highway driving or add next week just before the 900 mile trip? Thanks

I recall seeing something from Chevron on that subject some years ago, but I can no longer find it. Anyway, the message was that Techron is most effective when used in day to day driving because that allows greater soak time.

I really like the B-12 Chemtool Fuel Injector Cleaner - Berryman’s product is solvent based whereas most other cleaners are detergent based. - https://bit.ly/33cbdFN

E-Mail date: 7/17/2019 - Our recommendation for regular maintenance of your fuel system is one can of B-12 Chemtool Fuel Injector Cleaner (part #0116) every third fill up. Best to add when the tank is empty, and use a funnel to avoid spilling on paint (you most likely have a capless tank anyway). Here is a link to the product if you need more info: https://www.berrymanproducts.com/?s=0116

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Kathy Castle
Berryman Products Inc
[email protected]

Ed

Just add it and drive. I try to do this every 5000 miles and sometimes I don't. What I have noticed is when I keep up on it I will get consistent 17.5 to 18 MPG with my 2014. When I don't it drops down to 17.10 to 17.4. I am experimenting with some adds now.

I try to add it when the vehicle is not going to use the tank of fuel very quickly (for my work truck I'd add it before the weekend for example), so it spends more time in the fuel system.

I like to run a tank of b-12, then a tank of techron just before an oil change. I'd rather change oil right after running solvents and cleaners.

I like to run a tank of b-12, then a tank of techron just before an oil change. I'd rather change oil right after running solvents and cleaners.

That's exactly what I do...run them before changing my oil. I'm guessing that some small amounts of B-12 probably make it past the rings and then into the oil, etc.

I have actually e-mailed Berryman and asked them if they thought that B-12 would have any adverse effects on motor oil properties and "they said" that while they've never specifically tested for that...they think it's highly doubtful. That's what I thought they'd say.

:)

Ed

I really like the B-12 Chemtool Fuel Injector Cleaner - Berryman’s product is solvent based whereas most other cleaners are detergent based. - https://bit.ly/33cbdFN

E-Mail date: 7/17/2019 - Our recommendation for regular maintenance of your fuel system is one can of B-12 Chemtool Fuel Injector Cleaner (part #0116) every third fill up. Best to add when the tank is empty, and use a funnel to avoid spilling on paint (you most likely have a capless tank anyway). Here is a link to the product if you need more info: https://www.berrymanproducts.com/?s=0116

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Kathy Castle
Berryman Products Inc
[email protected]

Ed
Use every third fill up -- throw your money at them why dont you!!! I use Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner every 3000 miles in all my vehicles and am very content on how they all run. Been doing this method for years and years. Buddy of mine has an old 4.8L in his Chevy truck with 130,xxx miles on it. Ran the 20 ounce bottle two weeks ago and he says he thinks it idles smoother now. I dont know, I dont drive the truck be he does almost daily. Bang for the buck -- Techron ALL DAY!!!!

Being fortunate enough to live within the Chevron market, I almost exclusively fill my cars with Chevron with Techron gas. Chevron says
"If you regularly use a high-quality gasoline such as Chevron, Texaco and Caltex gasolines with Techron®, you probably do not need to use the bottled Techron®. However, should you occasionally fill up with lower quality gasoline, you may need Techron to help clean up deposits that can build up over time. If you have a sensitive vehicle or you use it regularly under severe conditions, you may also benefit from using Techron®. Additionally, if you are buying a used vehicle or you're not sure of its history, Techron will help clean up harmful deposits in the engine and fuel system."

So I only add a fuel system cleaner once or twice a year, and when I do, it is typically use something other than Techron.

I throw it in after an oil change on a nearly empty tank. No reason but for remembering to do it.

It's always been my understanding that Techron (and similar products) should be used before an oil change as there's a chance the additive can contaminate the oil to some degree. True? False? Thoughts on the subject.

It's always been my understanding that Techron (and similar products) should be used before an oil change as there's a chance the additive can contaminate the oil to some degree. True? False? Thoughts on the subject.
There used to be a recommendation for that, but now I don't see anything. I could just be some old research that may be outdated.

There used to be a recommendation for that, but now I don't see anything. I could just be some old research that may be outdated.

Thanks. It's been years since I've used the stuff.

The Gumout All in One I just used does recommend using it at time of oil change.

Attachments

• EB41653D-5B90-42BC-A0E3-0C6287C57227.jpeg
    EB41653D-5B90-42BC-A0E3-0C6287C57227.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 394B3EA7-2D0E-457E-9E7A-E81D1D0F0412.jpeg
    394B3EA7-2D0E-457E-9E7A-E81D1D0F0412.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 66
I don't bother with fuel additives in my gas car.

The diesel gets 1oz per 3 gallons of Stanadyne at every fill.

I would use the additive during the trip. The engine will be nice and hot.

I don't bother with fuel additives in my gas car.

The diesel gets 1oz per 3 gallons of Stanadyne at every fill.

I would use the additive during the trip. The engine will be nice and hot.
I always try to use fuel additives when the car will sit more often so the treated gas has more time in the fuel system. Anyone have any insight into how heat or extra time might affect cleaning?

I just microtreat so its always staying in front ofit. Kinda like picking up around house that if you do a bit often it doesn't get outta hand.

I don't use top tier fuel and haven't ran any fuel treatment/system cleaners in my cars for years. I've got injector cleaners in my garage that have been in there for 20+ years. I guess I should use some occasionally just to make more room in the garage. Back when I did use them I could never tell any difference in the performance or mpg so I just quit using them. I usually filled up and added them right before leaving on a long drive. I think I still have about a quart or so of FP-60 or FP-Plus that's over 20 years old.

Back