When oil is low, is it consumed faster?

I have heard/seen this posted many times. When an engine is low [near the add mark] on oil, consumption will accelerate. If you believe this is true, why do you think this happens?

Don’t know if that’s the case but if it is, less oil in the sump could result in higher oil temperature. Higher oil temperature could more readily evaporate the lighter fractions. Hotter, less viscous oil could also more easily get past piston rings. Maybe.

I have heard/seen this posted many times. When an engine is low [near the add mark] on oil, consumption will accelerate. If you believe this is true, why do you think this happens?
To some extent, oil is volatile. If there is a lower volume of oil handling the same thermal load, that oil is at increased risk of evaporating away.

Lower oil volumes in the sump means the remaining oil must handle the thermal load. One function of motor oil is to carry away heat. Therefore, it's not unreasonable to be concerned about higher rates of apparent consumption as the level of motor oil in the sump drops.

Good video, but I think the guy is too pessimistic. He kept saying "there is literally NO oil" which was not true. The truck still ran fine and had good oil pressure afterwards, he conceded.

Given oil consumption can occur through loss via the engine breather and the breather gets an easier time when there is more air space in the sump, then for this aspect of oil consumption I believe that oil consumption falls when the oil level in the sump is lower.

"Low'' is not ideal for any liquid needs. Why do it?

It reminds me of the neighbor that has a pristine lawn. When a drought occurs and the ground water table starts acceleration evaporation, the 'pristine lawn' neighbor doesn't grab the lawn spreader and fertilize his lawn, without raising the water table almost immediately afterwards.

I never understood why expensive vehicles get treated so poorly.
Hey Jimmy! Lets run the engine low on oil, instead of keeping the dipstick oil at the full mark. That way we can save several dollars per 10k OCI.

But before we put that $7 in a cookie jar for future purchases, please Jimmy don't forget to make that $489 car payment due on the 1st of next Month. We can't chance having it repossessed or doing anything negative that may shorten the life of our vehicle.

Running it a little low on oil all the time won't hurt it?..... right Jimmy?

Back