When It Rains, It Pours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The newest problem with my truck this week is, the a/c compressor coil got so hot it burned up and melted! It also took out the a/c pulley and the a/c clutch. I have the new parts, but am waiting on some shims and snap rings.
In pics 1 & 2 you can see the melted coil protruding from behind the pulley. The next pic is one of the pulley magnetic rings? that fell off the pulley face. The last 2 are of the clutch, the rubber melted on the front side of the clutch, the other is burnt debris inside of the clutch.
Thank God I keep old parts. I put my old clutch back on so the serpentine belt could turn all of the pulleys.
If it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all.
smirk2.gif

AC1.jpeg

AC2.jpeg

AC5.jpeg

AC6.jpeg

AC7.jpeg

Originally Posted by AZjeff
What failed to cause that to happen?

The a/c compressor coil.
1) Incorrect air gap.
2) A coil winding was exposed and shorted out the coil.
3) The pulley might have been out of alignment and hit the coil.
These were things an a/c tech told me. #3 seems kind of far fetched......
confused2.gif

I'm thinking #1 might be the culprit.

In pic 1 you can see the new pulley and coil. The ring is from the old pulley. When I removed the clutch that ring just fell off of the pulley.
You can see the coil has a rubber/plastic coating over the windings. That is what melted and is protruding from behind the pulley in my 1st set of pics.
The next pic shows how the pulley sets/turns around the coil.
The last pic is the clutch on the pulley.
I'm waiting on new snap rings (they hold on the coil and pulley) and shims for the clutch to get the correct air gap. Those snap rings got extremely hot, so I'm not taking any chances. The shims welded themselves inside of the clutch spline tube.
shocked2.gif

The clutch and pulley were replaced in JAN. 2019 when I thought they were squealing. Turned out it was my cam synchronizer. The Ford parts guy I ordered the pulley and clutch from gave me the Ford 24 month/24K mile warranty on them and I only had to buy the coil plus overnight shipping ($40+8 shipping).

AC8.jpeg

AC9.jpeg

AC10.jpeg

Originally Posted by atikovi
It wasn't making noise for a while before that happened?

No.
As I was pulling into my apt. parking lot I suddenly heard a rumbling noise and smelled something burning. I pulled into my parking spot, pulled the hood, and sparks were jumping from the clutch and pulley! Thank God it happened as soon as I got home! I was returning from a Drs. appt. that was 61 miles away!

Originally Posted by mk378
This is prone to melt the shaft seal and cause a refrigerant leak.

This! Usually it's a waste of time to replace a clutch. Put a compressor and related components on it.

Originally Posted by mk378
This is prone to melt the shaft seal and cause a refrigerant leak.

I checked it and had my uncle check it with his "SNIFFER." All is well, for now.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

Thank God I keep old parts. I put my old clutch back on so the serpentine belt could turn all of the pulleys.

No Kidding!! Good On You!

Are the replacement parts the same quality as the OEM......?!?!!?

Seems like … "no"

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

No Kidding!! Good On You!

Are the replacement parts the same quality as the OEM......?!?!!?

Seems like … "no"

I bought them from Robinson Brothers Ford in Baton Rouge, La. So, if that's not OEM....
21.gif

https://robinsonbrothers.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back