When do you top off?

If you have an oil consuming vehicle, do you wait til it gets to the low mark on the dipstick, or top off somewhere between full and low marks?

Personally, I have a hard time waiting. If I notice it's just a little under the full mark, it's easier to leave it alone, but when it gets closer to the midpoint (typically .5 qt) the urge to top off is almost overwhelming. ;)

Today I noticed my Civic is about 1/4 qt low (1700 mi on oil) and I resisted the urge. Will try to hold out til it's 1/2 qt low.

Side question: is it a pretty universal thing that the distance between the full and low marks = 1 qt? Or does it vary by make and model?

I have an 03' Matrix that runs well, but the 1zz engines were known to burn a little. Once the level get 1/8" below the full mark, I top it off. Takes maybe 1/2 cup of oil or so, but that's just me.

My Ranger uses a little (1/4 to 3/8 qt.) on a 5K OCI.
I figure if I wasted the time checking it, I may as well top it.

If you have an oil consuming vehicle, do you wait til it gets to the low mark on the dipstick, or top off somewhere between full and low marks?

Personally, I have a hard time waiting. If I notice it's just a little under the full mark, it's easier to leave it alone, but when it gets closer to the midpoint (typically .5 qt) the urge to top off is almost overwhelming. ;)

Today I noticed my Civic is about 1/4 qt low (1700 mi on oil) and I resisted the urge. Will try to hold out til it's 1/2 qt low.

Side question: is it a pretty universal thing that the distance between the full and low marks = 1 qt? Or does it vary by make and model?

It depends on the oil capacity of the engine, at the manufacturers discretion. Some are 2 qt, some 4qt.

When it hits low mark, typically.

it’s weird, my old ‘99 Camry add mark is 0.7 quart and on the newer ones it is 1.6 quarts. So I guess that, once half between, I could just dump in a quart. Thankfully I have not had to do that yet.

My 98 Civic was pretty much at a quart between the marks. My Sienna is 1.6 quarts or thereabouts; I haven't had to add oil to the Highlander so I don't know how much.

Never, lol. Once in a while a may add a little oil.
Honestly,, am I lucky? Do I just take care of my vehicles?
I've owned multiple vehicles that I've driven beyond 200,000 miles. Two I have driven past 250,000mi. I live in Pennsylvania I drive higher miles for my job in my work typically they get destroyed by road salt before I wear the engine out.
I have never owned a vehicle or the engine was worn out or worn to the point that it burned oil that I had to add oil to it between oil changes.

I'll check it a few days after an oil change, & then check it around 3k mi. Usually have to add half a quart, sometimes more. Then it's good until I change it again. I'll check it before a long drive too

I randomly check our fleet of 4 cars, my truck more because it's my DD. My truck holds 3 gallons and is 2 quarts from low to high. I never have to add oil to it. When checking the other cars, if I notice a vehicle is low 1/2 quart or more I will top off.

Just my $0.02

I was thinking about it after I posted the question, and I think if you need to add oil, the best time would be at the halfway point of an OCI. You don't want to waste oil by topping off with less than half the OCI remaining, and if you do it before halfway through, you may have to top off again (depending on consumption) closer to the end of the OCI. So with a 5000 mi OCI, check and top off as needed at 2500 miles and you are less likely to have to do it again before 5k comes up.

Back