At what point do you top off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Know your dipstick
blush.gif

It depends, but I never go 1/4 qt below 100% full.
In fact I make a real attempt to keep the oil just a tick, I mean a witches whisker about the 100% full mark.
----
Me TOO!!

I guess the only drawback of this is if you want to keep track of consumption, it makes it tougher to count quarts. My cars don't consume much so - it's not a huge problem just setting aside a quart for "top off" and then at the end of the OIC, see how much earl was used. I am sure there are many other ingenius methods.
-----
Me:
When you start a new change just start with a fresh bottle of oil, and the end of the oil drain you will know the amount of oil. On the next oil change then wither top up your bottle or get a fresh one. Mine takes 4.5 Qrts. So I always have a 1/2 left, I can add that to the last one opened or fill that one up or just go from 1/2 quart and keep tabs there, it's all up to you.

This topic is up my allaey. My oil motto: Got volume? Just use it!
No sense running at the minimum volume!

AMEN!

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
What I have noticed is that some cars care very little of where the oil level is unless you are like 40-50% low. Others seem to like it above the middle of the dip stick. And some others like it topped off above the MAX line.
*-*-*-*-

Well I'll agree and dis - agree. You may not be able to tell, but IMHO the engineers should of known something (well supposed mor than me) and I'll run mine to the max. But I have known people to keep it at the bottom of the stick and go a lot of miles, and a friends LEGEND is always over about 1 Quart, and he's got 26x,xxx with the valve cover just done yesterday, and no other leaks as yet.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Aside from this, I'll usually only top things off at 1/4 qt or more...as adding teaspoons is futile.

Oh, that hurts. Maybe crazy, stupid, anal but futile??? It does keep the level at the top and on these smaller capacity pans every drop may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back