When do you mount you winter tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the pavement is cold. The ambient temps need to be consistently around 45 degrees.

(this is what Michelin told me on the phone, and Discount Tire reaffirmed)

i know that i was told that several times mother nature didnt quite plan it that way though. The IG20'S are GREAT in the rain aswell. when we did get snow put it in reverse let the clutch slowly little throttle pulled out no problem no wheel spin. I like the i IG20'S. They work well on the coupe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
When the pavement is cold. The ambient temps need to be consistently around 45 degrees.

(this is what Michelin told me on the phone, and Discount Tire reaffirmed)

This. One reason winters work so well is that their compounds are designed for use below 45F. If you drive them at higher temps, especially on the highway, you can expect greatly accelerated wear. If you run A/S tires the rest of the year, you can wait until avg high temps are at 45 or lower. If you run summers, you've got to be a little more careful.

Like E365, I watch the forecast as well, and mount my winter tires/wheels when it looks like salt and/or brine will be applied to the roads, as my three season rims are chrome.

This varies from the last week of November to the middle of December, and one year I made it to the first week of January.

I am also fortunate in that my winter tires are actually V-rated.

I typically swapped around Veteren's Day, or middle of Nov. Last year, I didn't need them once. I don't like to wait too long, because I wash and seal my OE set before I store them in finished basement all winter. In the basement, they reset my "TPMS Fault" at every start-up. Then, the light comes on in about 20 mi or so...

Mine have been on since last winter. Didn't use the car much over summer and we have had a wet year anyway.

Tyre companies and VOSA don't say you shouldn't do this in the UK but they do state you will have worse wear rates.

I hope to put Michelin Primacy or Energy on the car in March, and take off the winters, if I can afford it I will buy another set of wheels, 17", other wise I will remove and then refit in October/November.

I think I have been lucky in that I rarely go on long journeys these days, as the extra heat from a long hot motorway run would probably really increase wear.

I do a school run in the AM, 2 miles normal road, 14miles Motorway, then 15 miles on normal roads with some slow speed urban driving near the schools.

Twice a day explains the need for an economical diesel car! Especially at £7 odd a gallon.

Originally Posted By: Grambo
I was wondering when you guys mount your winter tires?

well technically they are always mounted
smile.gif

I put them on the car usually in december when we have no more days of 50F+

I run all seasons so if we get some freak early snow I'm ok it wont last

I expect to wait till end of november and then when they forecast the first big storm or its staying cold for at least 10days they will go on.

First good snow has always been my rule for most of my cars. I am a little more conservative with my wagon since my wife drives it and it can get a little more out of line with a limited slip rear end. I don't want her going sideways at every corner if we get an early snow, so I usually change her wagon tires out when the first snow is forcasted. This year however is the first year the wagon has summer tires instead of all seasons for the summer so they will get changed by the end of October, probably next week.

Changed mine over on Tuesday. I have dedicated summer UHP tires on my STI. Seeing we've been having mornings around 32, the winter tires/wheels went on. Probably change back sometime in April. RP

Out of convenience due to time and good weather, I have already installed the winter wheels/tire combo on the only car that I do this. For this particular vehicle, these are just another set of A/S tires, Pirelli P4's(that score well in snow/ice) on the OE steelies.

Due to excellent snow removal in my area, a good set of A/S tires has been all I have ever needed since FWD became the norm in the early-mid 80's, even in the snow storms! AWD, which I also have, is always more secure and reassuring in the worst weather
smile.gif

I wait as long as I can but try to get them on before I have to do it in a snow storm. Not before temp are consistently in the single digits(celcius). This year with newer tires on both cars I may wait a bit longer, even into the negatives if we don't get snow.

Mine just went on last Saturday. A little earlier than I usually do. Im glad I did. The roads were a bit icy when I drove to work this morning. Would have been interesting on my Hankook summer tires. To say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back