When did Valvoline quit producing SynPower oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I decided to take advantage of an online sale (15% off) combined with a $15 Pep Boys rebate yesterday to get a 5 quart jug of Valvoline SynPower for $10.98. Not a bad deal. But didn't they stop producing SynPower a couple of years ago? I was surprised to see it *was* the older oil--I was expecting the packaging to be the new Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic, but it was the older SynPower. No big deal--I was just curious. I think the code on the bottle indicates it was produced in 2016. I haven't seen SynPower recently in other stores, but Pep Boys definitely still has it.

And their website is kinda wonky. The text says "SynPower", but the image shows the "Full Synthetic Advanced".

https://www.pepboys.com/valvoline-s...otor-oil-5-qt-/product/615499?quantity=1

Originally Posted by JoelB
They just re-branded the bottles I believe. No change in formula or anything.

Correct....name changes all across the line. Maybe someone in marketing had to do something to justify their pay.

Yes, I did well on the VSP clearance a few years back … seems they still had the 300k claims on the jugs …

There was a change in formula. Valvoline dropped the sodium based add pack for a moly/boron/titanium one.

what is the date code on the bottom of the jug, that will give you an exact date the oil was bottled.
The code will be a letter and some numbers. The letter is the month (A=Jan, B=Feb, etc, with letter "I" being skipped), then a 2 digit day and 2 digit year.

You can also look and see if it is SN or SN+. I do believe SN+ was when the name change happened.
Good oil regardless.

Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
I know the year was 16. I don't have the jug in front of me now.

You have the old formula. The new formulation is quite different and current SN Plus Dexos1 Gen2 stuff.

Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
FWIW, mine says Dexos2 on the container.

You have the old Sodium formula..... now long gone. The new formula started with the jug change from Synpower to Advanced.
If that's what you want, then buy it.

I don't really care. I already bought it because it was one of those "buy online, pick up in person" things that gave me an extra 15% off.

They may have received it from another retailer that overstocked it. Bought it on bulk shipment, at a bargain price. Who knows where really?
Nice sale! But the Gift Card must be used for Pep Boys purchases.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Correct though the timing may not be exact. The formulation change happened for d1G2.

*Also didn't Valvoline end their partnership with their previous base stock / additives supplier ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back