Wheelchair Van Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Looking at renting one of these to give my mom and her dog a vacation that maybe the last unfortunately.
I'm the sole caretaker and I can't get away either as it's hard to get someone to look after the two.
The dog needs the van too because she has been crippled up for several years with a bad knee injury that could not be fixed.
A big girl at 135 pounds but before her injury was a happy traveler. Mom requires 24/7 oxygen and much care but she wants to go.
Dog can not jump up in a vehicle- so this works good for her as well.

It would be a Florida trip from MD-DE area. I can only find one rental agency here- demand is high and vehicles are very limited.

Cost is $119. a day and 100 miles free a day and then 25 cents per mile. Probably would be a $1400 rental or so.
Does Hertz or any of the others rent these types of vans? These are side door load versions. The zip I'm renting from is 19711 in DE.
My local rental places don't list such offerings online. Most don't even offer Hybrids etc.... seems here its mid sized cars and compacts. Thanks.

The price is what it is- problem here is availability. Thanks all!

I drive wheelchair vans part-time for a local government agency. You might try contacting your local Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) and see if they have any recommendations for a rental solution.

Our local ADRC has wheelchair vans for transporting their clients but they do not rent them out, although I have heard of some others that do. They might also have a list of local businesses that rent para-transit vans.

Here is a link that I found on google........

https://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dsaapd/adrc.html

Good luck!

Perhaps you can find a high roof Ford Transit Connect. You can buy some aluminum fold up ramps for a few hundred. Should cost less than the rental.

Rod

Originally Posted by Zee09
Looking at renting one of these to give my mom and her dog a vacation that maybe the last unfortunately.
I'm the sole caretaker and I can't get away either as it's hard to get someone to look after the two.
The dog needs the van too because she has been crippled up for several years with a bad knee injury that could not be fixed.
A big girl at 135 pounds but before her injury was a happy traveler. Mom requires 24/7 oxygen and much care but she wants to go.
Dog can not jump up in a vehicle- so this works good for her as well.

It would be a Florida trip from MD-DE area. I can only find one rental agency here- demand is high and vehicles are very limited.

Cost is $119. a day and 100 miles free a day and then 25 cents per mile. Probably would be a $1400 rental or so.
Does Hertz or any of the others rent these types of vans? These are side door load versions. The zip I'm renting from is 19711 in DE.
My local rental places don't list such offerings online. Most don't even offer Hybrids etc.... seems here its mid sized cars and compacts. Thanks.

The price is what it is- problem here is availability. Thanks all!

Try here: they have places in Bear, Delaware and Beltysville, Maryland. https://www.mobilityworks.com/wheelchair-vans-for-rent/rates-and-fees/

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Perhaps you can find a high roof Ford Transit Connect. You can buy some aluminum fold up ramps for a few hundred. Should cost less than the rental.

Rod

I was thinking the same thing-thanks
I can buy a pro wheeled stretcher for the dog as she can no longer get in a car and can't walk a pet ramp.
I think by myself I can run the stretcher up and down I hope. She gets strapped in place on the stretcher.
This would save about $800 on the trip.

Call your local Elks lodge. This is right up their alley. They might be able to help you or steer you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back