Wheel center cap removal tool

D60

Specifically looking for suggestions for an '06 Expedition. These center caps are tenacious! Even with the broken fingers as shown they hang on like a dog with a bone.

I've never quite encountered this style before. These are very different from my '07 F150, '08 F150 or '11 SuperDuty.

Is there anything more elegant than wrapping a large straight blade in electrical tape (which is about the best idea I can formulate ATM)? The goal would be to not mar the wheel while prying like crazy in the very narrow slots provided

I've got the combo pry/rubber mallet tool but it's WAY too large here. And I ordered some glorified bike tire levers (marketed as wheel center cap pry tools) from ebay but they're way too wimpy.
20230606_083330.jpg
20230606_083347.jpg

You could carefully dremel another slot opposite the one that is there so you can use 2 screwdrivers.
There actually are two 180 apart but the cover fits so tightly it hardly matters. The only approach for me was to kinda pry it out at a single point and then work my way around the gap. Sorta like removing that inner snap ring from an old school D44 to slide the locking hub out.

the tool comes with a plastic cap to cover the end to remove the center cap, it is often lost though.

🤣 🤣 🤣 This is typical of JEG's. $14.99 shipping for a $4.59 tool, but hey, it's your money, not mine. I use a screwdriver CAREFULLY. My center caps are chrome plated plastic; easily damaged, expensive to replace. When I go in to have tires mounted on wheels, the center caps stay with me. I don't trust the flunkies to care for them or about them.

🤣 🤣 🤣 This is typical of JEG's. $14.99 shipping for a $4.59 tool, but hey, it's your money, not mine. I use a screwdriver CAREFULLY. My center caps are chrome plated plastic; easily damaged, expensive to replace. When I go in to have tires mounted on wheels, the center caps stay with me. I don't trust the flunkies to care for them or about them.
Jegs has one flat fee for shipping and handling regardless of what is ordered, if you are under the free shipping threshold. Same as Summit.

If you only need one smaller item it does kind of suck.

Pretty sure that's what I ordered off ebay for much less. They'll be useful for something, but were way to flimsy for this application.

Back