Wheel bearings for garden trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of those garden trailers that dumps, that you pull behind a garden tractor.

0002643231012_300X300.jpg

It has the wheelbarrow style wheels, and the cart has a 3/4" axle.

Here's the problem. It never had true ball bearings in the wheels, they were something that was undoubtedly cheaper, but they still lasted a couple of decades. It's like the bearings were some sort of bushing made of soft metal (like lead), that was hard enough to last 20 some years, but not hard enough to wear at the axle.

But now, it needs bearings. The wheels are wobbling all over the place.

Would these 1 3/8" O.D. x 3/4" I.D. bearings work? Are these what I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-BEARINGS-1-3-8...5ef&vxp=mtr

You will need to take the wheel off and see if you can get the old bushing out and then take some measurements. My guess is you will not have enough room in there for true bearings. Maybe you can replace with new bushings. Maybe new wheels with bushings/bearings.

I have an old cart that I have more money into replacement tires than I paid for the used cart.

If the axle shaft isn't welded to the frame (or maybe just lightly welded), you might be able to increase the axle diameter to take out the slop.

I have one like that. Mine has nylon sleeve bearings. Harbor Freight has replacement wheels. ~$30 for the ones with ball bearings, $20 for plain bearing ones. They even have foam filled ones, never go flat.

Wayne

I just bought new wheels and tires at Northern Tool. Mine were the wheel barrow style wheel also. I then knocked the cheap bearings out of the new wheel and replaced them with good bearings from NAPA. Mine did take the 3/4 id bearing. My tires needed replacing anyway. About 50 bucks for new wheels tires and bearings. Those look to be nice for the money. It looks like the flange would face the outside of the wheel and then slide the axle through. Are your wheels held on with a cotter key?

Remove one of the bearings and go to Ace Hardware to match it up. I picked a table saw out of the trash one evening long ago, removed the offending (worn out) bearing and took it to Ace. They had an exact match. Saw lasted me another 10 years. Ace has almost everything (for a price).

Did you try the E bay bearings? How did they fit? What did you do to make them work? Where did you finally get the parts for it? What's the rest of the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back