Wheel bearing vs wheel hub

Mallet? You need one of these. Don’t worry about the compressor too much. All you are looking for is a few 5 second blips. Can you rent one in your area?
I’m probably going to get an earful about how you need a 60 gallon compressor. I removed a knuckle from a strut with this. Needless to say the larger the compressor, the better, but if you are dealing with a caveman hammer, any compressor with an air hammer attached is much better. :)

C6040FED-9D5A-4006-AE18-7F31597DCC2E.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks again folks. The LCA wasn't coming out the bottom of the knuckle so I ended up loosening the LCA and strut tower bolts and was able to wiggle the CV axle out and giving me more room to mallet the knuckle out. Unfortunately I don't have an air hammer - the only non-hand tools I have is an electric impact from HF.

Because you're replacing the knuckle let the hammer rip. I use a 4 lb HF. turn the wheel so you get access and smash the knuckle hard as close as you can to the LCA and it should pop up. The more force the easier it's going to be. Try to get some blaster down in the taper. And then once you do that you can take the whole mess out in one piece. Then it might be easier to work on

Attachments

• 20201203_152516.jpg
    20201203_152516.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 22
Because you're replacing the knuckle let the hammer rip. I use a 4 lb HF. turn the wheel so you get access and smash the knuckle hard as close as you can to the LCA and it should pop up. The more force the easier it's going to be. Try to get some blaster down in the taper. And then once you do that you can take the whole mess out in one piece. Then it might be easier to work on
Glad you got them out finally

Well the new knuckle came in early today and I got it on with one exception now. The start of the threads on the outer tie rod is now messed up because I decided to use the mallet to get it now. I bought a new tie rod outter but the old one is rusted on pretty well. I'm spraying it down with penetrating oil as much as I can right now but does anybody have any tips for getting the outer tie rod off?

Well the new knuckle came in early today and I got it on with one exception now. The start of the threads on the outer tie rod is now messed up because I decided to use the mallet to get it now. I bought a new tie rod outter but the old one is rusted on pretty well. I'm spraying it down with penetrating oil as much as I can right now but does anybody have any tips for getting the outer tie rod off?
A hot wrench lol. Usually what I do is take a wrench put it on there and tap it with a hammer usually that frees it up. If that doesn’t work then that’s when it’s time for the heat.

I ran into the same thing. Had to cut off the ends and replace the inner. The inner is under a boot. Clean. So it will come off. Purchased DLG inners at AZ because this wasn't in the plan and I had to go there to rent the tool. It's not that expensive, and you have to do an alignment after what you've doing anyways.

For the record, next time anyone locates an image, chart etc online and instead of taking a photo with a camera of the chart etc.. do a "print screen" and edit in paint shop there after.

Back