Wheel Alignments

Al

I always lament when folks continue to get wheel alignments when its not indicated to be necessary. I have noticed over that one a wheel alignment is done it doesn't "hold" alignment like when it came out of the factory.

I have had one alignment done in my60+ years and a million miles+ and that didn't turn out well.

I always lament when folks continue to get wheel alignments when its not indicated to be necessary.
I didn't do wheel alignments ever, until I did one on my 2002 Suburban with 70k miles, because it pulled to the right and wore the front tires too quickly. The toe was off almost 1" from the factory. I kept telling myself that the alignment couldn't be off, because it was set at the factory and I bought the vehicle new. I was wrong.

I have had one alignment done in my60+ years and a million miles+ and that didn't turn out well.
I have done about a dozen alignments on several vehicles I've owned, one as recently as 6 days ago when I put new tires on the Durango. All alignments have turned out well for me.

Last edited:
I prefer to run better grade tires as the tire is supposed to be the only part of the car that touches the ground.
Of course they are pricey. I don't like spending on alignments, but I don't want those expensive tires to wear out too quickly.
I bought a lifetime alignment for our 2006 TSX; turned out to be a worthwhile investment.

After suspension work I get an alignment. 50/50 when getting tires, if the old set was wearing well, then I leave alone.

Problem is, I'm finding that after 150k or whatever, all my FWD's will feather rear tires, no matter how often I get an alignment--I think my current two are doing it at only 50k on the clock.

I don't think I've had a car "just go out of alignment" though. I've heard of it, after a nasty pothole, but have no experienced it.

Perhaps the nuts and bolts were not properly torqued? I had an alignment early last year (the first in ~25 years) after installing new front struts to lift my 4Runner one-inch. Checked torque immediately upon arriving home and found the torque on one lower control arm cam bolt was about 50% low and the other about 20% low.

Last edited:
I always lament when folks continue to get wheel alignments when its not indicated to be necessary.
I agree with that. Almost ever tire shop has tried to sell me an alignment, often even before having a tech inspect the treadwear patterns.
I have noticed over that one a wheel alignment is done it doesn't "hold" alignment like when it came out of the factory.
I have not had that experience.
That's a very small sample size. My friend Bill loathes meatloaf. When I asked him how often he's had meatloaf he said "once." :censored: I have an alignment done on each car every 5 years or so. I have had to go back a couple of times. One time it was because the tech didn't center the steering wheel. The other time there was too much toe-in for my liking.

Whenever I purchase new tire I never get a alignment if the current tires are wearing well. If I have no issues I want the new tires installed and drive it before I get the alignment checked if at all... The last thing I want is a tire problem they blame on a alignment issue..The new tires should drive straight and true just like the current tires on the vehicle...if it aint broke..dont fix it....

For those who don't get alignments for many years... are you (or your mechanic) inspecting suspension components for wear? Worn ball joints can feel like and be mistaken for unbalanced wheels or unbalanced half shafts while driving. Many years ago, I was working as a mechanic to earn money to attend a university. One day, I witnessed the collapse of a left front suspension as the driver approached a service bay. He got out, looked at it with a stunned expression and told me he just got off the freeway.

Last edited:
The tires, driving dynamics, and position of the steering wheel tell the story. I do shake out the suspension when the car is up in the air for an oil change/tire rotation.

We do n/c alignment checks with a print out. Up to the customer if they want it done. Roads around here are not great. Just a note, one of stores down the road from me did 4,836 alignments this past FY
I'm in Michigan.. going to the metro detroit area.. results in a visit to the wheel alignment rack! Didn't they just get I-96 done over there? but checking the MDOT cameras they're repairing it again! wow..

My 2011 Frontier has never had an alignment. Trucks at 165K approx. The current crappy General Grabbers have almost 60K on them. They likely need replacement but there is no sign of uneven wear.

When I took my under warranty Toyota to the dealer at 40 months - the service "advisor" sauntered out and told me at this age I should have a alignment, amongst some other things I didn't need. I asked him to do what the warranty / service manual says to do at that age - which is all free and the only reason I was there, and I would be on my way. He stammered for a bit. I got the impression he wasn't used to people telling him no so quickly.

No alignments for me. I tell people to get an alignment after i replace control arms, struts usually line up the same before and after replacement, and I measure the toe for tie rod end replacement. You can use a piece of metal, a hobo freight angle finder, and a tape measure to do a redneck alignment that's good enough that the tires wear fine

I only get an alignment after replacing suspension/steering parts. Alignment doesn't change unless you've bent or broken something, or something is worn out.

Though about 5 years ago I replaced all 4 control arms on my Jeep (straight axle) and didn't get an alignment. The steering wheel is maybe an inch off now, but it drives fine and the tires wear evenly so I don't bother. It just changed my caster a little bit is all. One day I'll upgrade the tie rods/drag link and align it then.

Back