Whats your ultimate sleeper?

Back in the day when I got my 87 Grand National new off the lot it was sort of a sleeper because word wasn't fully out on the beast and I would surprise many an unsuspecting Chevelle or Iroc-z etc.....today I still have the car but people know what it is. Fast forward to today and I think an ultimate sleeper is a CTS-V Wagon - not many made and they're right fast! If building a sleeper I would probably go with a pickup truck heavily modified as to be stealthy but with radical power.

Only catch is that the engine has to be made by the same manufacturer as the car. Transmission and rear can be anything.
I would do an old LTD with a nitrous Coyote, Tremec TKO, 9 inch rear, and something quiet like Dynomax super turbos with a stock cam.

mid 14s on stock bias ply tires, with tuning and decent rubber 13s were easy

If I’m allowed to be unreasonable with my request… Dodge Dart, HO Hurricane I6 with AWD and a 6 speed manual.

Or a Starion. And because loophole, it’s also getting the HO hurricane I6!
272A654B-2529-47D5-A136-B6A6AFEEC175.jpeg

2008 cobalt ss was extremely good for the money. Surprisingly so it was a lightning lap contender and still amazing at the cars it out performed
Yeah, there was one doing solo 1 here years ago, and it was beating all sorts of high hp rwd stuff at Mosport, a big terrifying track at the time. I believe he had replaced all the rubber bushings in the front suspension with steel parts for steering precision and feel, and some minor stuff to the engine to boost hp a bit. I think he was a good fearless driver too and there's a few corners where that gained more time than he lost going on the long uphill back straight.
My personal sleeper surprise moment was someone brought a beat up regular looking Subaru Impreza to autocross, and it just sounded pretty normal really and I never gave it a second look. Until he launched out of the start and proceeded to link up a series of 4 wheel awd drifts into the first section of the course... My buddy and I's jaws dropped as we agreed that was no regular Impreza, turned out he had a full STi swap from japan under there.

Last edited:
Fox body Granada or ‘80-82 T-Bird/Cougar w/347 stroker. Bonus points for an AAA Plus bumper sticker. These days even Fairmont sedans and fox body LTDs get a second look by people who know anything about cars, but who expects a walloping from a two tone tan/gold ‘80 T-Bird with whitewalls,wire wheel covers, and a vinyl roof?

Assuming it has to run on pump gas:

1. Termi-swapped fox body wagon with a pair of turbos. Buddy of mine had an '04 Cobra with that engine setup that made ~850HP to the tires on 94 octane pump gas.
2. Hellcat Redeye swapped K-car wagon. Light like the fox body, should absolutely fly.

I forget if it was a Honda or a Kawasaki 500cc two stroke but it was quick, not much for top end though. There was a guy in town that had one and nobody could beat him from street light to street light. I had a 1981 1000 Suzuki and had a couple friends with 900 Kawasaki's and no one could touch him out of the gate.

This is very close in appearance to a college friend's '71 Maverick. He had a 'built' 351 in it. Never got to drive it, but as a passenger I can say it hauled pretty good.
1653062969965.jpg

Back