What's your go to interior protectant/dressing?

I'm still looking for a Vinylex replacement. Not liking 303 so far. Smells bad to me and doesn't seem to last long and has the "cancer warning" on the bottle. Was going to try Mothers VLR but it had a warning to not get it on plastic which was odd considering there is tons of plastic all over vehicle interiors. I like the shiny, glossy look but really just want something that will preserve the interior plastics from getting brittle(my vehicle are old, 20+years). Vinylex claimed it replenished the plasticizers in the plastics to keep it strong and preserved...Would love something that does that equally well. Thanks everyone!

If you like 'The Shiny' you should try CarPro Perl. Undiluted it was too glossy for me. Diluted 1:1 was a bit better. Various uses both interior and exterior. Water-based, UV Inhibitors and dilute depending on your use. One negative is it is not typically available at your local store.

Reactions: rcs
I just use ONR diluted 256:1. Most interior materials have UV inhibitors built into them, so I no longer apply any type of protectant. Optimum Protectant Plus is like a 303 but more matte finish. The alcohol based interior detailers like Gyeon ID and Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer work well. Megs is by far a better value and works as well or better than the Gyeon.

My favorite is Chemical Guys Leather Quick Detailer spray. I too like the shiny slick glossy look, and this product does it perfectly. I use it on my car's leather as well as on all interior plastics. Has a fresh leather smell too. It's about $9 at Walmart.

I too had tried the 303 in the past and hated it.

I have used just about everything available over the years but I have been using Exoforma's Complete Interior for the last 2 years and have been very happy with it.. Their other products that I have tired have been great too...

I like the final appearance of 303, but OP and I seem to be the only ones who think it makes the car smell like chronic BO after completion instead of smelling like "clean". Meguairs #40 has been a go-to of mine for decades. It is slightly glossier than 303, described as satin not matte, but if you follow the 303 application steps (rub on, buff off) it comes pretty close. Plus the car actually smells clean and #40 has some cleaning ability. I found that 303 will simply wipe on over top of the slightest dirty smudge and can't remove anything, even what plain water would so you're forced to two-step even a nearly pristine interior. (yes yes, I know it's a "protectant" and not a "cleaner")

I've only just picked up some PERL finally and will check it out. In particular I plan on comparing it for exterior use.

819QKlWM59L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Diluted 50/50

087.JPG

072.JPG

121.JPG

I'm still looking for a Vinylex replacement. Not liking 303 so far. Smells bad to me and doesn't seem to last long and has the "cancer warning" on the bottle. Was going to try Mothers VLR but it had a warning to not get it on plastic which was odd considering there is tons of plastic all over vehicle interiors. I like the shiny, glossy look but really just want something that will preserve the interior plastics from getting brittle(my vehicle are old, 20+years). Vinylex claimed it replenished the plasticizers in the plastics to keep it strong and preserved...Would love something that does that equally well. Thanks everyone!
I have used VLR without issue many times on interior plastic. Besides vinyl is plastic. I don't have that disclaimer on my bottle but it is several years old.

A damp microfiber, the only thing I put anything on is the real leather seats (not plastic covered split leather but full hides) and the real wood dash inserts with lemon oil. Use a sun shade, its better than that crap that softens plastic.
My concern is plastics drying out and getting brittle over time. I use a sun shade and garage but eventually the sun, heat and winter cold will take its toll. Wouldn't a protectant that keeps the plastic softer make it less likely to break from being brittle?

My concern is plastics drying out and getting brittle over time. I use a sun shade and garage but eventually the sun, heat and winter cold will take its toll. Wouldn't a protectant that keeps the plastic softer make it less likely to break from being brittle?
Hard to say none of the detailing companies offer any type of proof that UV protection is provided, despite the claims. I would think it does help to some degree, but marginal at best.

Gyeon Interior Detailer is a 60% alcohol formulation. That is something I'd be slightly concerned about if used regularly. However, I'm not a chemist and there could be different alcohols being used and other ingredients that offset that. You have to trust their chemistry I guess.

Back