What's your favorite socket holder for mobile toolbox.

I've never found a socket organizer/carrier that I liked for carrying around in a regular toolbox. Either they hold the sockets too tight, they break, or the sockets fall off. I've been using a Lisle magnetic socket holder but the magnets aren't strong enough and I'm tired of fishing around the bottom of the box searching for sockets.

What socket organizers do you all use and how satisfied are you with it?

When ever I travel with mine I just take the rail I have mine on and carry it separately because I had the same problem. I use the peg type organizers from Rural King they have worked good for me.

I have been using the ones with the magnetic base that stagger the sockets and stand them up on end. I like how it will stick to a steel surface. I have a few that I've had for twenty five years.
For my 1/2 inch drive impacts I have the one that twist locks the sockets. I like that too.

Good point. I have my old made in USA Craftsman set in a metal tool box a with angled separator in the tray. Fast forward to 2000. I happen to have 3 comprehensive socket sets in SAE and metric, each set in a large plastic attaché case. The three sets have variances in socket length and drive size. The differences are enough to want to keep all three sets. I keep going to one of those cases for tools. There is a spot for each socket. Too convenient.

My dad has used this type for shallow and deep sockets for many years...probably old Craftsman from the 60s or 70s??? I have been looking for new boxes like this for a long time but haven't found any. If anyone has a source for new ones please post!

This image is from the web and shows a homemade version but the design is the same.

1608509750595.png

My dad has used this type for shallow and deep sockets for many years...probably old Craftsman from the 60s or 70s??? I have been looking for new boxes like this for a long time but haven't found any. If anyone has a source for new ones please post!

This image is from the web and shows a homemade version but the design is the same.

View attachment 37572
My pawn shop had some of those at one point. Maybe a good place to look. Many of the socket sets I’ve seen from the 70s have those Craftsman, Mac and a few other brands too. We had some at school that they took to the scrapyard I asked if I could have them but they said no because they needed the money.

@AutoMechanic the pawn shop is a great suggestion. Looks like I'm going there tomorrow!
If I would of known I would of met someone who wanted them I’d of gotten them lol 😂 they let me fill up a box of whatever brand and tool I want for $20 and around Christmas time they just give me stuff. When I was there Friday the dude gave me an Icon ratchet 1/2 drive long version they had taken it in as partial payment for a gun.

I have an old Billings socket case too that I keep grease fittings in and extra travel sockets too. It’s a metal container and the lid lifts up it’s not like one of those pictured it’s an actual case almost like a mini toolbox it’s about a foot long.

If I would of known I would of met someone who wanted them I’d of gotten them lol 😂 they let me fill up a box of whatever brand and tool I want for $20 and around Christmas time they just give me stuff. When I was there Friday the dude gave me an Icon ratchet 1/2 drive long version they had taken it in as partial payment for a gun.
That would be a great deal! $20 for a box of tools! I am jealous...

Not a fan of the Lisle 40200 for portability, it wastes a LOT of space. The handle can be cut off, but there's a lot of space between sockets, and wasted space between rows, and it's already double-wide. I have no idea what they were thinking when they "designed" that one.

For minimal space and maximum organization, nothing beats a GOOD socket rail, cut to length and the corners ground off. Some are better than others!

What I'm using now has been discontinued, but when I need more I'll probably get these (from short to long):
https://www.amazon.com/ARES-6-Inch-Long-Organizer-Aluminum-Organized/dp/B06ZYBCDB3/

Back