what's your favorite motor noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the sound of a marine diesel upon start up when the pneumatic starters engage, the sound when the motor catches and then steadies out to idle

Loved the sound of my 11500 RPM Yamaha FZR-750, now love the growl of my Honda RC45 with HRC racing exhaust, also the Honda F-I engine is among the most awe inspiring, the past turbo and non turbo as well as the current BAR one.

Many may laugh but highly tuned diesel sounds the most aggresive and way more powerful in the automotive world.

Briggs & Stratton 5hp 4 cycle Modified turning about 9,000 rpm's. That is a sweet ride
cheers.gif

Honda 250-6 warming up. Yamaha YDS3 and Scott 2 stroke engines wailing. BSA Gold Star 500 on the overrun. Lancaster bomber with 4xMerlins, grumbling along....

I agree with "Master Acid", the LeMans winning 787b rotary passing by, but a close second would be the sound of my own RX-8 at full throttle @ 9000 rpm, the highest revving production car in the WORLD!
tongue.gif

doc

Nothing beats the old Pratt & Whitney, or the Wright, big inch radial engines from the war years for engine sounds, IMO. Whether at the aiport, or when they pass overhead, it is the sound of sounds for engines.

Several times yearly I've caught B-17's, Mitchells, etc, as they steer one of the Dallas area flight paths for the several aviation museums around here and are at around 5,000' AGL.

If you could attend a Reno-style air race with modded warbirds, don't hesitate!!

As to cars, a Six-Pack 440 Mopar is king for sound, although an 8V Hemi is pretty close.

But the likely winner is: ". . when it starts".

Doc,
While your crankshaft on your 1.3L rotary may be spinning 9,000 rpm, the actual speed of your rotors is 3,000 rpm.

Drew -
Yes, the rotors are only doing 3000 rpm, but the SOUND we are discussing is produced by the 2 power pulses per rev, 9000 rpm = 18000 explosions per minute! Unlike any "prosaic" motor in any other production car.
doc

340 six pack mopar wide open, no other sound like it.

Idle of a big block mopar indy heads and a big cam, headers, and dynomax mufflers on 3" exhaust pipe.

Dan

to measure a rotarys speed via its rotors instead of its eccentric shaft would be analogous to measuring a conventional piston engines speed via its piston velocity.

yes the rotors spin slower but they get more work done in the same time.

its easier instead of bickering, to just measure things via putput shaft speed, which in the case of his rx8, is quite high.

I would like to share with you what I do on the side....
I live eat breath sleep shiz snowmobile clutch tuning and am now getting experience at building exhaust pipes.

My fave engine sound I've ever heard is the sound of a two stroke snowmobile engine.
These engines are one of the "meanest" sounding engines and produce painful db's for the human ear. Even with earmuffs, the sound is still loud, it just takes off the "cutting edge"
Heh.....at the end of the 600 dyno run, even the engine at idle sounds mean!

Here is some dyno runs we do on an "Inertia Dyno" The engine has to accelerate a 600 lb drum. It takes several seconds to grind out the dyno run and you'll notice at how much quicker that 985 pushes the dyno faster than the 600.
The dyno has a shaft which the connection is a clutch from a ZR1 Corvette and the means for braking, slowing down the drum is a brake caliper assembly from a ZR1 Corvette. Its about the only hardware that is reliable to hold back the capacity for 275 hp 1200 cc 3 cylinder rotax that my pal is building. The drum turns 2500 rpm when the engine is at 8500.

Here is a 985cc Rotax twin cylinder snowmobile engine making 203hp at 82~8300 rpms.

*If you click on a link you will only get to see one vid at a time.
*If you right click on the link and pick "Save Target As.." then you can save them to your hard drive.

*Once in your hard drive then you can open your media player and drag both of them into the player to watch the warmup...then dyno push.

http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album1643/1_warming_203hp_985.avi
http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album1643/2_dyno_203hp_985.avi

-

-------------
Here is a 600cc Rotax twin cylinder snowmobile engine making 144hp at 8500 rpms.
This one we spend all day getting the pipes ready for fit in the chassis and then engine comes back out onto the dyno for final jetting....

Notice that the midrange rpms the engine starts to gurgle as it accelerates, at first we thought the PTO side mainjet was too fat and jet needles needed to be adjusted, however the float needle/seat rubber was worn and had to be replaced. Replaced it and the 600 ran as smooooooooth as the 985

...My camera batteries died for the final dyno push... ****, that run was super clean....about 144hp.

http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album1643/143hp_600.avi

-

The 800 twin rotax engine [182hp @ 8500 rpms] we build powers a snowmobile on pavement drags that can do the quarter mile in 9.91 seconds at 126 mph.
We have a 1000 triple in the 235hp range that pulls off mid 8 second 1/4 mile at 155+ mph.

[ November 23, 2005, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Rev440 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back