What's your favorite handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CZ SP-01 Shadow Target./ 9mm. Got it from CZ Custom shop where Stuart worked his magic on the trigger. After that one I don't need any others.

8 3/8" S&W Model 27-2-one of the nicest shooting and most accurate guns I've ever shot. The big N frame makes even fairly stout 357 Magnum loads easy to handle.

The one hiding in here from Santa Claus for Christmas!!!

_20191221_203419.JPG

Originally Posted by Astro14
How could I pick just one?
grin.gif

If I had to, however, it would probably be my S&W 5906.

My first gun. Carried it in combat (in a custom holster that my parachute riggers made for me). Reliable. Accurate. Well made.

I have a 5906 that I bought new, It's not going anywhere!

Originally Posted by Tom NJ
My CZ 75BD. Full size steel 9mm with great ergonomics and accuracy (and very pretty!).

[Linked Image]

I just picked on of these up last week, I like it.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
8 3/8" S&W Model 27-2-one of the nicest shooting and most accurate guns I've ever shot. The big N frame makes even fairly stout 357 Magnum loads easy to handle.

There's the old "This thread is worthless without pictures" saw to address...

I love the 27. I have had multiple 19s, 686s, 66s, even a classic .38/44 "High Velocity" which could be loaded to .357 pressures (I did not, though I hand-loaded my own .38 HV rounds - 11.5 gr of 2400 under a 148gr. SWC).

But this 27-2 was the most beloved I ever owned. 3.5" of easy-handling, fast-drawing fun. A gentleman's bear gun.

Story has it, J. Edgar Hoover got s/n #1 of these, and a lot of the early 3.5" production went to the FBI and similar favorites. I think George Patton had s/n around 25 or so, it was in the right holster of his rig through WWII and he called it his "killing gun." CW has it he had two Peacemakers - not true. He gave one away after WWI of a pair to his driver from the war or the Mexican expedition (I can't recall right now). I don't know what he used in the interim but in the 30's he got a 3.5" N frame .357 to fill the void and carried it until he died.

Fun trivia, sorry for the rambling...

IMGP5463.PEF.jpg

Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 Magnum, Stainless Steel, 4" barrel. First handgun I ever bought.
Bought it used at a Gun Store at 18. I think it had work done on it by the previous owner, super smooth with a Beautiful trigger pull, I got really Good with that gun. I carried it for decades in my truck. Killed a deer with it from a tree stand.
Now it resides in the Safe for sentimental value, I carry other guns. I spent alot if time with that gun though and both my kids know it's Dad's favorite handgun. So I am sure it will be in the family now forever.

Originally Posted by Panzerman
Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 Magnum, Stainless Steel, 4" barrel. First handgun I ever bought.
Bought it used at a Gun Store at 18. I think it had work done on it by the previous owner, super smooth with a Beautiful trigger pull, I got really Good with that gun. I carried it for decades in my truck. Killed a deer with it from a tree stand.
Now it resides in the Safe for sentimental value, I carry other guns. I spent alot if time with that gun though and both my kids know it's Dad's favorite handgun. So I am sure it will be in the family now forever.

I think you meant nickle plated.

Ruger Security Six with a four inch barrel. Even with Federal 125 grain +p's Recoil was minimal. I sold two of them and
I regret it. I now have a mindset to never sell a gun. Maybe trade, but no sale

I do not necessarily want a firearm with a soul for this application. Glock 19, or M&P, or similar (but not you, XD or SIG...unless you got a folded carbon slide.)

Originally Posted by DB_Cooper
[Linked Image from vavqj34csem437aom2bekqda-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]

FNX-45 with some TALON rubber grips as I shoot bare handed. A real beauty. The FNX factory textured grip is too rough for an un-gloved hand. Super accurate with 15 rounds of 45ACP. A bit large and heavy for CC but not a big problem with loose clothing. I have a 45ACP Firestar for summertime CC.

Wow after reading a bit on these FN 45s I'll be getting one as my next purchase. I have a question, I'm seeing different versions that look like the same 2 guns only one of them is listed as cunsumer?? What does that mean?? Just a name of that version perhaps??

Taurus PT92.

After years of carrying a service issue Beretta M9, I wanted either one of those, a Beretta 92, or a Taurus PT92.

The decocker and frame mounted safety won.

Originally Posted by hatt
Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 Magnum, Stainless Steel, 4" barrel.

Or he meant Model 66 (the ss model 19). A lot of people just say, "19 stainless" since the 19 number is more well-known. But he could have a 19-nickle, too.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Originally Posted by hatt
Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 Magnum, Stainless Steel, 4" barrel.

Or he meant Model 66 (the ss model 19). A lot of people just say, "19 stainless" since the 19 number is more well-known. But he could have a 19-nickle, too.

I have one of each. They're great guns no matter what.

As a contrarian i have two similarly ridiculoous pistols i would consider 'my favourite'

A Smith & Wesson .500 magnum short barrel, chambered in 1.5mm pinfire
and
A single barrelled ladies derringer(tiny concealable peice hidden in bras and garter belts) chambered in .338 lapua.

They may not be my first choice for practical use, but for something to hamd down to the grandkids/a conversation starter/something cool to show to your pals, a pinfire 500 and a lapua-derringer are absolute fantasy-pieces.

Webley Service Revolvers left over from the war are the most common pistols in this country (outside of the military)

Originally Posted by Bobaloo22
Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm, Sig p238 pocket carry. I love my revolvers but don't carry one.

What do you carry?

I'm with your reasoning also. I find carry revolvers too wide & heavy. I like the new, modern thin semi-auto pistols for hip, ankle and pocket-carry. The petite, lightweight revolvers of today are not fun to shoot, in any caliber north of 38 special.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back