What's your favorite handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
favorite as in never let go? taurus 85, 2", steel, 5 shot, 38sp, revolver. purchased gently used in 1983, it was discretely tucked deep away in my household effects as my sole firearm for 28 years. saved me once. now a treasured safe queen for sentimental reasons though it is an excellent shooter.

favorite as in shot the most? ruger sr22, 3.5", 22lr, semiauto pistol. it always travels across country because it is such a fun, reliable, soft and handy plinker, and an accurate and rapid magazine dump of its 10 cci stingers followed by a fast reload would be a useful social deterrent.

favorite as in what i would grab if i had to run out the door away and forever? ruger single six, 5.5", 22lr/wmr, single action revolver. built like a brick outhouse to last forever. politically correct anyplace. ammo is small and lightweight. 22lr for plinking, 22wmr for varmints. for some reason i am absolutely, terrifyingly, wickedly accurate with it.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Originally Posted by Silverado12
My favorite, if I had to pick one, is the 1911 chambered in 9mm.

I like your style, ready to be bold.

I have a pre-80 Colt Commander in 9mm and it's a VERY sweet shooting gun. I enjoy shooting it better than most any full-size or .45 1911, save one full-custom Novak. 9mm + Commander length is a really nice combination (Colt trivia, the Commander WAS a 9mm gun to start, .45 was a later commercial chambering after military trials).

S&W N frame is various permutations is second after 1911 platform.

As we always used to say at THR, 1911forum, S&Wforum:

This thread is worthless w/o pictures. Let's do some.

c. 1983 Colt pre-80 Commander, 9mm like the OP likes. And I do, too. It came with correct checkered walnut grips but I put on these non-correct early '70s sandblast Walnut colt Grips because I always really liked that look and also feel:

IMGP5815.PEF.jpg

Originally Posted by MolaKule

My S&W 586 in .357 Magnum. Amazing accuracy for a wheel gun but had the trigger system worked on for smoothness and a 4 lb trigger pull.

The 586/686 was S&Ws no-holds-barred attempt to kill the Python. They succeeded; this is the gun that did force it out of production. I haven't had a straight blue 586, but I have/had two of the stainless 686's. The early production is the best when they had their best 'smiths on the line to make them better than the Colts. My 4" is from then, the 2.5" from later. I like the 2.5" but the 4" just shoots like a dream, as good as an N-frame .357. Actually, better, since the weight is equivalent but the frame is smaller for more density and better recoil characteristics. Maybe the best revolver of all time.

For some reason I can't find the stand-alone pics of the 686s. Here's all my fave .357s, a 2.5" 19, the 4" 686, and a 3.5" early 27-2.

IMGP5071.JPG

I'm not sure the L Frames killed the Python. Colt always figures out a way to make people not want to buy their stuff. I do want an older 4 inch 586.

Hands down, my S&W model 53 with both cylinders (no inserts). Remington 22 Jet is really fun to shoot and reload for. Finding .222 bullets can be a hassle sometimes. The .22 LR is very accurate. Loudest handgun (22 Jet) I own !!

Last edited:
The amount of revolvers mentioned here as favorites is incredible. I own five handguns - none are revolvers. My 9mm pistol will be gone soon. Maybe a Ruger SP101 38 Special+P, or a S&W Model 640? is in my future, or something similar.

Last edited:
I would have to say my favorite handgun I currently own is my bedside gun. It's a Remington RP45. With 15+1 capacity of 45 ACP plus a spare mag I feel like this should hold down the fort until I can get to my long guns. Very comfortable to shoot, accurate, and reliable. I like my Ruger SR45 quite a bit too for all of the same reasons except capacity.

My frankenglock 'G24C'. Gen3 fullsize lower with LoneWolf 24C upper and barrel. A complete blast to shoot, literally. If you're standing off to the side it is stupid loud, but it will drive tacks if you want to. I had been in the market for a 'real' 24C for some time, but they're fairly hard to find and when you do, they are generally priced way more than I wanted to pay. I don't think LoneWolf even builds the slides anymore, so this one may well be fairly rare as well.

I've been keeping my eye out for a 9mm ported barrel for it, that should be even more fun. As soft as the .40 shoots in it, 9mm ought to be super smooth.

I know Glock's aren't exciting, but I'm a big proponent of being super competent with a single firearm, muscle memory and all that. We carry G17's at work, prior to that we carried personal weapons and as a tool it is hard to do much better when your life comes down to it. That's the main reason I own 5 of the things.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I have always liked the original SIG P6. It has a classic look, made in W Germany, constructed with the stamped steel slide. Not to mention the DA/SA.

Unfortunately the one I have is more of a novelty than anything now due to unreliable magazines. The original springs are getting weak. SIG has not offered new springs for some time, Wolff springs are too wide and drag at the top of the magazine, and the Promags have exhibited feeding issues.

[Linked Image from vavqj34csem437aom2bekqda-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]

FNX-45 with some TALON rubber grips as I shoot bare handed. A real beauty. The FNX factory textured grip is too rough for an un-gloved hand. Super accurate with 15 rounds of 45ACP. A bit large and heavy for CC but not a big problem with loose clothing. I have a 45ACP Firestar for summertime CC.

Bought another pistol this week. An M&P 9 Shield Performance Center 9mm 3.1" ported barrel with Hi-Vis sights. What a great gun.

4" S&W Mod. 19 , or my Glock G19 . Edited to include my 6" S&W K-22 . Phenomenal accuracy .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back