What's your favorite Christmas album/CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this question will probably receive some highly varied answers, I ask it just to see other's opinions.

For me, #1 used to be Amy Grant's 1992 CD..excellent orchestral performance, vocal and lyrically great.

But with the release of the Trans Siberian Orchestra's "Christmas Eve and Other Stories", I can't put it down for weeks on end, even in the summer!
smile.gif

For purely instrumental, "Christmas Colours" is an excellent CD.

Peanuts, Elvis, and Tony Bennett. Just for kicks a few years ago I got the Ally McBeal Christmas CD which is surprisingly good. Erstwhile heroin addict Robert Downey Jr. sings on it and he's pretty good actually. R&B CD with "Backdoor Santa" on it.
grin.gif

Bob Rivers Twisted Christmas

A yearly tradition 'round these parts. We gather 'round the Victrola and revel in the auditory delights of such songs as:

Twelve Pains of Christmas
Chimney Song
We Wish You Weren't Living With Us
Wreck the Malls
Visit From St. Nicholson
O Come All Ye Grateful Dead-Heads
I'm Dressin' Up Like Santa (When I Get Out on Parole)
Restroom Door Said, "Gentlemen"
Foreigners
Joy to the World
Message from the King (Elvis speaks to us)

But, the single best Christmas ditty has to the the tear-jerker found on "Dr. Demento: Holidays In Dementia" and other Christmas music CDs....

Written and sung by The The Hollytones their "Christmas Is Coming Twice This Year" is the epitome of Christmas music.

Why would anybody even want a Christmas album? Isn't the constant exposure to Christmas songs on the radio and in public enough to make you rip your hair out by the bushel?

But since you asked, I kinda like “What Can You Get A Wookie For Christmas (When He Already Owns A Comb?)" from the 1980 "STAR WARS Christmas Album." I also like "The Nightmare before Chrismas" soundtrack by Danny Elfman, and "Porky Pig's Blue Christmas." I also like Cheech&Chong's “Santa Claus And His Old Lady.” Have you had enough yet?
tongue.gif

I think my favorite is Niel Diamond, though the Harry Connick one is a close second.

If you are into county Garth Brooks has a very nice one as well. I havn't dug out our X-mas albums yet, I'll do that today and see what else I come up with.

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
But, the single best Christmas ditty has to the the tear-jerker found on "Dr. Demento: Holidays In Dementia" and other Christmas music CDs....

lol.gif

My fave from Dr D is "Christmas in Jail" (Ain't go no bail)

It would have Gene Autry's "Rudolf the red nosed reindeer", Bing Crosby's "White Christmas", the original "Drummer boy", that jazz song from Charlie Browns Christmas, John Lennons "War is over", and the all star song for "Do they know its Christmas". That would be a good start.

quote:

Restroom Door Said, "Gentlemen"

"...and I won't sit in comfort and joy-comfort and joy .......and I won't sit in comfort and joy."

We probably won't be playing much else this year. My wife found a station that has been playing seasonal music 24/7 since before Thanksgiving. It's now on 24/7 on the "auxillary stereo" in the kitchen. My daughter's boyfriend has decided that this is a torture that can't be kept to himself. He needs to share it with his co-workers. I personally enjoy it. I've heard just about every version of every song.

What I enjoy is some of the classic movies that come around.......and I always cry at the reading of "Yes, Virginia ..there is a Santa Claus". This ammuses my wife for some warped reason. She doesn't have a femine side to get in touch with, I guess
grin.gif
(memories of the interview of Leon in Blade Runner, "..It's a test, Leon, designed to provoke an emotional response. To answer your query, the questions are written down for me. Shall we continue?)

OOPS forgot a must have, that Song by Vince Vance and the Valiants, have the melody in my head just cant remember the words or name.........

You can't beat "Elvis Sings Christmas." Even if your not an Elvis fan or think he's still alive, this album just makes you feel good all over.

My favorite Christmas CD has to be Colin Raye Christmas-The gift. My favorite tune is "It Could Happen Again", a song about how the British and German soldiers declared an unofficial ceasefire and celebrated Christmas together during WWI. I must have listened to this song a hundred times and still can't keep a dry eye.

Second favorite album is probably Garth Brooks' "Beyond the Season."

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
The collections my wife plays. All sorts of people. We have about 20 Christmas CD's.

I'm a sucker for a well done Little Drummer Boy.

I'm a simple guy, though.

Me too......David Bowie and Bing Crosby version is fabulous..

A pretty good generic 2 CD set is:

"The Essential CHRISTMAS"

2002 from Sony via Columbia, Legacy.

I don't even really like Celine Dion but her "Don't Save it All for Christmas" impresses.

Listen to the background vocals and the inflection in the voice of "Grandma got run over..." by Elmo and Patsy
smile.gif

Not so sure about "Ave Maria" by Bobby McFerrin and Yo Yo Ma.

1959 Johnny Cash doing "The Little Drummer Boy" in stout fashion.

"I'll Be Home for Christmas" by Chet Atkins shows that playing a guitar can sound like ringing a bell. I like it.

What are those two guys names, from Canada from the late '80s I think, that put out a record and recorded a version of the "12 days of christmas"? They didnt have an ounce of singing talent, hence they were pretty good. I think they were "hosers" or something like that. Last night for the first time in about 10 years I heard that "12 days of christmas" song where "on the first day of christmas my true love gave to me..........beer........". That is a hilarious song. Anyone remember it, or the guys names?

smile.gif
It's gotta be Boxcar Willie and the album, "Have A Hobo Christmas". This was followed up later with, "Buddy, Can You Spare A Stocking", and the ever festive, "I'm Dreaming Of A Handout Christmas".
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back