What's your avg speed/ OCI in terms of hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

But now almost every turbocharged engine produced is liquid cooled, and has been for years. The last diesel engine I saw with an air cooled turbo was a Detroit 6V92 from the early 90's we had bought for a boat. It came from the factory with blankets for the turbos as they claimed to be more efficient with the heat held into them, and pryometers to ensure they didn't run too hot.

I'm sure there are engines produced with air cooled turbochargers today, but not in automotive.

Ah, I don't so...My truck has a relatively common engine (MB OM906LA version 902.912) and turbo is NOT liquid cooled
2636 hrs, 99550mi, average speed ~37.5mph (don't do any city driving - about 85% pavement, 14% dirt road, 1% truly offroad)

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
It’s truly staggering the accumulated hours a auto / truck engine can have!
Of course it’s possible since you can cruise the hiway with 30 HP on an engine capable of 300 HP for hours at a time!

Aircraft engines running full power at take off and 60 – 80% power during flight means a 5,000 Hr TBO is nothing to scrimp on!

Since you have a spin-on tranny oil filter, see if the steel shell is .020” thick or less, then you can use FilterMags or individual
magnets on the shell to pick wear metals in the ATF. If your spin on filter has a shell .025”, FilterMags are less effective.
At .030” or more, it’s not possible to use standard FilterMags and get results.

See the results in this PDF: I’ve been able to get the same results too, so I’m happy.

“ FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW “
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

They have 2 filters, there's one in the pan too. There are big magnets on the bottom of the pan on the inside that do a very admiral job of catching metal particulates. I wouldn't worry about attaching them to the spin on filter if it were me.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
It’s truly staggering the accumulated hours a auto / truck engine can have!
Of course it’s possible since you can cruise the hiway with 30 HP on an engine capable of 300 HP for hours at a time!

Aircraft engines running full power at take off and 60 – 80% power during flight means a 5,000 Hr TBO is nothing to scrimp on!

Since you have a spin-on tranny oil filter, see if the steel shell is .020” thick or less, then you can use FilterMags or individual
magnets on the shell to pick wear metals in the ATF. If your spin on filter has a shell .025”, FilterMags are less effective.
At .030” or more, it’s not possible to use standard FilterMags and get results.

See the results in this PDF: I’ve been able to get the same results too, so I’m happy.

“ FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW “
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

They have 2 filters, there's one in the pan too. There are big magnets on the bottom of the pan on the inside that do a very admiral job of catching metal particulates. I wouldn't worry about attaching them to the spin on filter if it were me.

The spin on transmission filter has a magnet on top of it between the filter housing/mount and the top of the filter from the factory.

My work van is an 09’ Chevy Express 2500 with the DMAX. I average 11-12,000 miles and 500hrs between OCI. Lots of idle time, hard running towing 10k, and all in West Texas dust and heat. So far all UOA show almost zero wear.

Hi,

Just for interest's sake;

My OTR Reefer vehicles, taken over many millions of kms, had an Ave Speed (all vehicles) of 80km/h
OCIs on my 500hp Series 60 Detroits using Delvac 1 5W-40 averaged, 80k kms

My 18spd RR Transmissions had an OCI "as-when" needed or at sale @ around 1m kms
This was the same for the Rockwell tandem axle units

Loaded weights were always around the Legal Max. of 42000kgs

I hope this is of interest

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: Toptierpao
Any car or truck with a turbo should be using synthetic oil.

Probably a good idea, but one would have to explain how it is that thousands upon thousands of commercial heavy, turbocharged working engines go over 1 million miles and 20,000 - 25,000 engine hours on conventional lubricants without major engine repairs or even a turbo replacement.

TT, those OEM's must be wrong since DELO 10w30 is factory fill for Paccor & Freightliner... lol
33.gif

Thediffsand trannys cone with syn oil for their
sick.gif
turbos . I was looking a new truck a few years ago in a moment of midlife crisis ,, again. I g=havegiven up on motorcycles and boats.

198751 miles and 4012.8 engine hours.

Avg 49.5 mph.

Currently on a schedule of 7k to 7.5k mile OCI, using Mobil 1 TDT or Mobil Delvac 1 ESP.

In the Unimog, has been to 20 countries so far: 99484 mi, 2640 hrs = 37.7mph.
Considering that about 10-15% is off pavement and I cruise at 57 mph - I do very little city driving.

I forgot to break up my hours so far on my Ram but did so for this upcoming OCI. At 48,000km I was 124 idle and 620 drive hours. Approx. 21,000km under load.

I have lml but I dont really have much data for you honestly. I change mine every 6k although mine gets alot of hrs from city traffic 6k takes me half year with daily work total of 30 miles 1 hour run time plus anything else I do with truck on daily. I haven't ran oil analysis cause engine is still so new so I see it pointless. I do run conventional oil and filter mags on everything, def only out of pumps.

I just checked a company truck,today; 2016 GMC 2500 6.0L gasoline engine. 24,600 kms, 3860 hours, fuel economy since new, 44.6 liters per 100km.
I have to report such abuses, guess what guys, you just lost your truck.

Off the top of my head last time I checked the Liberty we were averaging about 17.3 mph, up from 14 mph. Which is why I'll stay clear of saying or listening to blanket statements like, Dino oil is good for 'x' amount of miles and synthetic oil is good for 'y' amount of miles. Following blanket statements can be a formula for disaster in certain vehicles, depending on where and how they're used.

My work truck is now at 880154 miles with 18712 hours. That would put me at an average of 47 mph. It gets roughly 22,500 mile / 450 hr oil changes.

Here's an update on the LML. On the most recent OCI I also changed the fuel filter and spin on ATF Filter at 31,072 miles and 2,073.9 hours. I used an AcDelco fuel filter and and Allison spin on filter. I bought both the fuel and ATF filter from Amazon. I bought an Allison filter that came with a new magnet, so now I can just quickly swap the atf filter and magnet and clean up the used magnet later for the next filter change. I topped the ATF off with Maxlife ATF. I didn't expect it to need topping off, from what I've read most people need about 8 oz of fluid after an atf filter change. It took a little over a quart of atf to bring the level to the middle of the hot mark. I cycled the transmission from R to N to D and back several times and then set the parking brake and let the truck idle in drive until the transmission got to 170°F, then I shifted back to park and checked the fluid level. I let it idle in drive because the transmission would probably never reach the temp check range idling in park, unless I'm towing I almost never see the trans over 150°F. The manual specifies a temp check range of 160°-180°, idling and in park. The Maxlife isn't a licensed Dexron VI fluid, but it was late and that's what I had on hands. I'll probably do a pan drain and fill with some Dex 6 soon anyways, but I'm not at all worried about the Maxlife being in there. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread so far.

60C1CCE0-FA60-43CF-82C4-2A6509C42543.jpeg

This the issue with Maxlife. It isn't "licensed" but is "recommended" by Valvoline. There was a posting just lately on vehicles owners are using it on. Don't mean to hijack the thread but your comments on Dex 6 were timely.

113C5932-38EC-4943-A86F-5FE900192011.jpeg

E05464B6-3869-4BA5-8F59-AFAD4BC0AD09.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
My work truck is now at 880154 miles with 18712 hours. That would put me at an average of 47 mph. It gets roughly 22,500 mile / 450 hr oil changes.

Is that going by the OLM or is it just a fixed maintenance schedule that you keep the truck on? What kind of vehicle is this, do you do any towing? With a 47 Mph average, you certainly don't sit around and idle much.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
This the issue with Maxlife. It isn't "licensed" but is "recommended" by Valvoline. There was a posting just lately on vehicles owners are using it on. Don't mean to hijack the thread but your comments on Dex 6 were timely.

Yeah I saw that, I participate in that thread. A suitable fluid is better than leaving it a quart low until I could pick up some Dex 6, in my opinion. I put this fluid in there knowing that it's not approved, but it's actually very close in specs to a Dex VI fluid and I feel like Valvoline would back me up if I were to have an issue with it in there. That begs the question of if the dealer/GM could even detect that one quart of non-approved fluid has been used in a trans with a capacity of around 13 quarts, assuming you were to have an issue. Let's be honest here, If 1 quart of a "suitable" fluid in an otherwise untouched unit with a 12 out of 13 quarts of the factory fill still in it "causes" it to fail at a low mileage and under warranty, it has an issue that has nothing to do with the fluid. I think it's actually shifting a little better since I changed the filter and topped it off, it may have been a little low from the factory. I'm a little ashamed to say that I hadn't ever checked the transmission fluid before changing the spin-on filter. Most of the time they just need about 8oz added after a filter change from what I've read, but I needed a quart or so to get it between the hot marks. It's always shifted fine, there weren't any issues before the filter change but I think it may be shifting a little quicker since the filter change/fluid top-off. I could just be paying more attention to the shifting since I recently changed the filter... either way, all is good so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back