What’s up with Castrol Edge 0w-40?

Yes but true piston slap is a different story. That is not corrected by the oil.
I understand that. The noise I hear (piston slap) goes away faster with Edge than both PP and M1 EP , running the same filter. I wish somebody would explain it. This engine has done it for a long time. The heads were rebuilt , new oil pump ,timing chain etc. we left the pistons in because they looked good and it does not burn oil.

This is a repa
The May 2022 thread has been closed and should not have been. There was some issues last year in getting Castrol 0w40 but I was able to pick up three jugs at about $25 then. Jumping to a price of $67 is different. Walmart doesn’t do a price gouging. That is Castrol jumping up it’s price.
I can get the jugs now but the prices have doubled for just the 0w40.
The May thread was a duplicate of the previous thread: complaining about price. It was closed. It should have been. It was pointless.

This thread is a duplicate - complaining about price.

What purpose is served by multiple threads complaining about the price of a single product?

No new discussion on why the price increased has taken place. Nothing new revealed. The “question” in the title hasn’t been answered - because it’s rhetorical.

“What can I use in its place?” Is a reasonable discussion point and the only reason this thread is staying open.

Last edited:
I understand that. The noise I hear (piston slap) goes away faster with Edge than both PP and M1 EP , running the same filter. I wish somebody would explain it. This engine has done it for a long time. The heads were rebuilt , new oil pump ,timing chain etc. we left the pistons in because they looked good and it does not burn oil.
Maybe the lubricating properties of Castrol's add pack provide a better "cushioning" between the engine's moving parts. Doesn't Edge 0W40 have a strong add pack? That's my best explanation (y)

I contacted Castrol about this and received an email back from customer service.

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

The price in question for Castrol EDGE Euro Car 0W-40 A3/B4 on Walmart.com is not correct so we will reach out to Wal-Mart about the observation to have it corrected.

The Walmart.com system uses auto pricing to match the lowest market price in most cases. However, their system is not perfect so when errors like this are found, we ask them (Wal-Mart) to help fix it as soon as possible.

We appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention!

Thank you again for contacting Castrol. We value your patronage!

Sincerely,

Castrol Consumer Relations
1-800-462-0835
Hours of Operation:
Mon – Fri: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. ET

What vehicle requires 0w-40 ?
Any car you can run this oil regardless what the oil cap says. Only the first number means can the engine handle it. I wouldn't run a 20-50 in a 0 spec weight car, but a 0-40 0-30 or a 5/30 5/40 can be run in any internal combustion engine on the road

Any car you can run this oil regardless what the oil cap says. Only the first number means can the engine handle it. I wouldn't run a 20-50 in a 0 spec weight car, but a 0-40 0-30 or a 5/30 5/40 can be run in any internal combustion engine on the road
Wut? An engine design can handle or not handle a particular winter rating?

Which cars have a "0 spec weight"?

Ahha yes, I didn't see you mention weather.
Now ive pulled the euro manuals for my 2.4L Honda and my 3.5L Acura. Both state you can run 15/40 in the UAE. Now in TX, NV, AZ you see high heat in the summer as in the UAE. You would be able to get away with it. Probably loose 2 or 3 mpg drop

Are oils are graded by gravity flow, formally called Kinematic
Viscosity (KV) in accordance to ASTM D-445... its important to note
that this test is not a measurement of an oils thickness nor an oils
weight... its a measurement of time required for a fixed volume of oil
at a constant temp to flow under the force of mean old Mr.Gravity...
The rate of flow is expressed in Centistokes (cST)... the lower the cST
number the quicker the flow... We argue over flow not thickness...

Viscosity numbers in Centistokes (cST) between Castrol Edge 0W40 and 0W30

Castrol Edge 0W40 @ 40ºC=73cSt @ 100ºC=13.2cSt

Castrol Edge 0W30 @ 40ºC=72cSt @ 100ºC=12.3cSt
Castrol Edge Diff___ @ 40ºC=1cSt @ 100ºC=0.9cSt

Note the cSt difference between 0W40 and 0W30 @ 40ºC=1cSt in gravity flow...
Note the cSt difference between 0W40 and 0W30 @ 100ºC=0.9cSt in gravity flow...

Since Castrol 0W30 and 0W40 differ by no more than 1cSt in gravity flow (which is roughly an blink of an eye) either grade should meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

full-45634-35394-viscositytest1.jpg

Last edited:
Back