What's the most powerful "receiver" today?

I have a 125wpc Yamaha driving a set of Polk tower speakers (RTi-A9's). Unfortunately, the Polk's are quite power hungry and the Yamaha is insufficient. Plus the Yam does not have HDMI, so I use tosslink, which introduces an annoying delay.

I recall that in the past, some receivers could use multiple channels for increased output. And/or "bi-amp". Both of which would be nice.

It's funny, but I have all sorts of audio equipment, including 3ea Crestron 16 channel amps (60wpc) . But none of it is high power stuff. It's going on Craigslist for cheap!

HIjOznX.jpg

Those are some outstanding speakers; listened to a couple of different pairs. Both owners said the same thing you just did, they need serious juice to sound their best. There was a time recently that 125wpc was overkill...but no more :) There are some home theater receivers out there with 160-250wpc, but those are some serious coin. I have looked online at a few during our nationwide solitude break these last few months; most of the manufacturers have "Out Of Stock" posted on the high power stuff though. I'm not sure how you feel about used equipment, you can try This Site and see if anything might be in your wheelhouse. A little clunky to drill down, but not too bad. Again, those are nice speakers...great buy!

I have no clue if it's feasible, but what about used movie theater amps, receivers or whatever they might use?

What source do you want it to run and most importantly budget. I dont think a receiver is best option maybe but probably look at separates with processor. Many many amps run them speakers without breaking a sweat. Budget budget budget.

The thing is, those Crestron 16x60 amps are epic and make great 220wpc x5 amps, and will make full rated powa with all channels driven. I just don't have the time.

Given that you mentioned HDMI, I'm guessing you're looking for an AVR and not a stereo one? If so, maybe look at Denon X8500H or X6700H?

Otherwise, for power hungry speakers, dedicated amps may be better, and can be less expensive, like this Outlaw 5000:

Or if you just need 2 channels, then maybe this:

But I think you already have some power amps. None of them can handle the Polks?

Last edited:
volume is like car racing, speed/volume=money

how loud do you want to go?

get the NAD preamp

M17 V2 – Surround Sound Preamp Processor – $7999​

and amp

M27 – Seven-Channel Power Amplifier - $5499​

BlueSound Wireless Speakers (commercialelectronics.ca)

The M27 is generally considered to be the strongest "domestic" amplifier but you can get some concert level stuff for even more

Last edited:
I think the Crestron(s) I own, have the exact same amplifiers inside as the M27. That is they contain "ATI" amplifier modules.

Why not just buy a separate amp and use it on the pre-outs? That's how I have mine configured, my mains are fed by a Bryston 4B. AudioMart usually has some good deals, you might be able to find a comparable power amp with the horsepower you are looking for/need.

Why not just buy a separate amp and use it on the pre-outs? That's how I have mine configured, my mains are fed by a Bryston 4B. AudioMart usually has some good deals, you might be able to find a comparable power amp with the horsepower you are looking for/need.
Here's a 4B in Florida (do NOT pay $1,000 for that amp, it would be like $800 CDN up here):

When I was younger Bryston was always at the top of my wish list.
Instead bought a NAD 2 Channel AMP for its for value before most people ever heard of NAD and what a let down it was, glowing reviews and incredible amperage but ultimately one of the channels stopped working. Sat under my bed for a while and then threw it out.

Used to love the family owned smaller audio businesses from Canada and some from the USA most all gone now as well as straight two channel audio, now its home theater and have a Yamaha home theater receiver and most likely that will be my next. Not into spending much more then $700 or so for a home theater receiver. The current one is a less expensive one and it takes whatever I can dish out, I can make the thing cooking hot at times and keeps on going, almost like the old Timex commercials *LOL*

Last edited:
I had a pair of Polks. I can tell you that they were not happy with less than 200 watts/ch (I ended-up feeding them 250 watts/ch). No AV receiver that I know of has that much power (only a couple of stereo receivers). From what I can tell, the most you can get in a multi-channel AV receiver is 165 watts/ch. To get that much power to your Polks you will need an AV receiver that has preouts and use a higher power external stereo power amplifier for the Polks.

Last edited:
I had a pair of Polks. I can tell you that they were not happy with less than 200 watts/ch (I ended-up feeding them 250 watts/ch). No AV receiver that I know of has that much power (only a couple of stereo receivers). From what I can tell, the most you can get in a multi-channel AV receiver is 165 watts/ch. To get that much power to your Polks you will need an AV receiver that has preouts and use a higher power external stereo power amplifier for the Polks.

My B&W's like power too. My Paradigms (currently being fed with the 4B) are less picky, as they are extremely efficient, but they do see to do well on it too.

Back