What's the difference between Gold GC & Green GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And are they PAOs or Group IIIs
Thanks
smile.gif

I know there is tons of discussion re the new gold GC and it now appears that it is a fine oil. Is there any reason to think that as a more recent oil ie a replacement to the green stuff, that it is in fact superior to the green?

quote:

Is there any reason to think that as a more recent oil ie a replacement to the green stuff, that it is in fact superior to the green?

It may be, and then again, it may not. Castrol could have positively tweaked the formulation, or they may have cheapened it. Honestly, I believe it is too early to tell without further analysis and more UOA samples. From the VOA samples, it appears they reduced the calcium in favor of magnesium. But, it is what you can't see in the VOA that is truly important.

Regards,

Rich

All the European formulations are having to change their additive chemistries. This is being specifically done to reduce the levels of sulphated ash, sulphur (the "ditho" in ZDDP) and phosphorus. Current European engines (including TDI diesels) are coming out with new types of "aftertreatment", emission control components. These include particle traps for diesels and advanced catalytic convertors for gas engines, as well as more sensitive oxygen sensors.

The old GC looked like a HD diesel oil in terms of additive chemistry and sulphated ash and it also had lots of ZDDP. So it would not be at all acceptable for use in many 2006-2007, European gas/diesel engines....

If I were a bettin' man, there'd be cash
That says GC with lower ash--
Despite all the concern there's been
About the dyin' O'the Green--
Will prove to be another killer oil
That justifies the Elvish toil.

So for all the blokes that said the Gold
Means Castrol once again has sold
Us all right down the oily drain
You'd be wise to ride this train.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

The old GC looked like a HD diesel oil in terms of additive chemistry and sulphated ash and it also had lots of ZDDP. So it would not be at all acceptable for use in many 2006-2007, European gas/diesel engines....

interesting
the 2007 heavy duty truck diesels for USA will be adopting similar technology (particle traps, etc).
wonder if this means the diesel oils will similarly be modified?

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
pschotle. great little limrick there; well said. Thanks for posting!

Be honest...how long did it take you to come up with that little ditty?

It took me about 5 minutes...usually when I post a poem it takes around 5-7 minutes because the ideas come pretty quickly; it is just a matter of getting the words and meter the way I want them. TNX to you both for noticing...it is something I enjoy doing "when the muse strikes."
cheers.gif

The ASTM, "Heavy Duty Engine Oil Classification Panel", is evaluating a 1000 ppm phosphorus limit, a 0.4% limit for sulphur and a 1.0% limit on sulphated ash. This is the "PC-10" development specification and it will closely resemble the ACEA "E6" spec, coming on line in Europe.

The PC-10, 0.4% limit on sulphur is actually lower than the GF-4 spec for xw-20, which calls for a 0.5% limit and it's much lower than the 0.7% spec limit for the xw-30 grades. Note that these tighter sulphur requirement will severely limit the use of solvent refined basestocks, in favor of Group II's and Group III's.

Your efforts here really do shine
For the pleasure of such persuits is all mine,
Though cut us a break -
And for everyone's sake
Do realize the gold instead of green is just fine.

Pscholte's muse comes by and whispers in my ear at times too - seems we have a similar madness that we share. Still waiting on my truck to roll up on the end of it's current OCI so I can pour in those jolly little green men.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

So why doesnt Castrol acknowledge that the gold is a slight tweaking of the green's formulation?

The old GC looked like a HD diesel oil in terms of additive chemistry and sulphated ash and it also had lots of ZDDP. So it would not be at all acceptable for use in many 2006-2007, European gas/diesel engines.... Ok this PC 10 spec. and what you said here tell us what European gas engine would not be acceptable to use GC.Or does this only apply to the new models with the new CATS. and particle traps.I think Castrol came up with a special oil here and are being squeezed to get back in line with the rest of the OTC oils.That is just me though and I am sure there are oils blended special that will give those willing to pay for it the results that are superior to all OTC oils.It reminds me of stem cell that was off now back on for the betterment of those who are willing to pay for it. Hey I hear if you want to ride on the space shuddle for a price your there.
freak2.gif

These VOA's have been posted a while ago.
Many thanks to Bruce381
worshippy.gif

Gold Lot #M050286A
Green Lot #M040976A

***********Green-----Gold

Iron..................5............3
Silicon...............8............4
Sodium..............2...........14
Potassium..........10..........12
Moly................ Phosphorus.......1105.......903
Zinc................1197.......1157
Calcium............3683.......1941
Mag.................216…......770

All other metals
TBN D-664 OLD test used for both oils the results are lower than new test D-2896.

Green-----Gold

VI

Vis@40

Vis@100

[ August 14, 2005, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: vad ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back