What's The Best Thing To Use To Glue The Headliner

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have the headliner coming down on two of my classic cars what is the best stuff to glue it back up with?? I Prefer spray if possible

You can not just glue it back up. The reason it is sagging is because the foam backing middle layer has deteriorated and no longer exists. If you try to glue the remaining material, the glue will come through to the surface. You can get new material and use the 3m adhesive, however.

The 3m spray stuff is the right product, and is very good.
it should not soak through unless it is applied wrong.
The possible problem is that the glue will hold great, but the next layer of substrate will break away.
This happens on deteriorated foam typoe underlayments.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
3M Headliner Adhesive. The upholstry shop by my shop swears by it

+2, I used it on my son's 2001 Honda Civic and it worked.

Previously, I tried a spray on contact cement, and it failed several times.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
You can not just glue it back up. The reason it is sagging is because the foam backing middle layer has deteriorated and no longer exists. If you try to glue the remaining material, the glue will come through to the surface. You can get new material and use the 3m adhesive, however.

Yep, correct. 01 Civic that has been rarely garaged started sagging and coming away at edge. Used a white craft cloth glue (ease of application) to delay the inevitable for awhile by gluing the edges back down, but it was only a stop gap. Once the sagging starts, it only gets worse. Had the headliner professionally redone for $100 last year.

3M adhesive spray is specifically made for the headliner, and is readily available. That said, the preparation to use it correctly (w/new hl material) is the most time consuming part. The actual application of the 3M spray is only a minor part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back