What's the best courier vehicle that's not a prius for no more than 20k?

I love the CX-5, I’d go with that. My parents picked up a new 2020 mid spec trim so not the turbo but it still feels great to drive.

****!!!! Original engine and trans? CVT?
Is there a link about this?

It was a stick shift not a CVT. The original engine was replaced at 635,000 miles so it has over 355,000 on the second engine. After replacing the engine the owner tore down the original engine and it really just needed a valve job. It’s a Subaru Crosstrek forum and there are not too many of them it should be easy to find.

Can’t comment on what other people perceive about service requirements for Subaru or for any other car, because perceptions are all over the map in this place. Plenty of people change their own CVT fluid or have an independent mechanic do it. The key thing with a Subaru is to use the OEM fluid for that model car, there are currently four different ATF fluids in use.

The new Impreza gets 36 MPG highway and 31MPG combined with the CVT. That is for full time symmetric all-wheel drive. For comparison the Corolla hatchback gets 35 MPG combined for a front wheel drive car.

I personally have seen the camrys rack up huge miles with not a lot of fuss. They have a bit of history of being an appliance, but very good ones. IMO they started becoming more refined in their driveline tuning around 2013 on. I’m a fan of their 4-bangers. Easy to work on, thrifty to run.

my son has a 2018 civic hatchback with the 1.5t and it is a Great car. There are concerns about oil dilution but we change it early and spike it with some 10-30 and it does fine. It’s fun to drive, looks good, and returns excellent mileage. He’s got the manual. the back seats fold down and it becomes a baby wagon.

if you spend all week in it, used volvos are very comfortable if you don’t mind learning how to turn wrenches. Very comfortable indeed, but the repairs can be expensive if you don’t become a Volvo whisperer. Supreme seats, though.

i do a lot of volunteer work with a couple of local churches, fixing or maintaining cars for folks who don’t have another option. We see a fair number of Kia and Hyundai products. I’ve been impressed how some of these high mileage Koreans drive and handle, but they are difficult when they get really old. A lot of simple items take a lot of labor to get to, like coil packs, starter motors, and other small parts, and the small bits seem to fail in waves, or that’s how they seem to go.

m

You can probably get a new or almost new TourX for 20k

As a TourX owner, it would not be the best delivery vehicle. Its rather large, and very rare. If you break something its going to be harder to get the part. It would a classy grubhub ride but not the most practical.

Also, they are nearly sold out now, and the super deep discounts are not as good. You would probably need to pay a lot more than 20k.

I would want something easy to get in and out of and very compact. Maybe even a basic 3.6 liter Wrangler. You give up some MPG in exchange for high resale value and entry/exit/parking ergonomics.

Chevy Volt is a decent suggestion but faces the same rare issues as the TourX. Something goes wrong and they need that one guy at the chevy dealer who actually knows about them and is the “volt guy”.

As a TourX owner, it would not be the best delivery vehicle. Its rather large, and very rare. If you break something its going to be harder to get the part. It would a classy grubhub ride but not the most practical.

Also, they are nearly sold out now, and the super deep discounts are not as good. You would probably need to pay a lot more than 20k.

I would want something easy to get in and out of and very compact. Maybe even a basic 3.6 liter Wrangler. You give up some MPG in exchange for high resale value and entry/exit/parking ergonomics.

Chevy Volt is a decent suggestion but faces the same rare issues as the TourX. Something goes wrong and they need that one guy at the chevy dealer who actually knows about them and is the “volt guy”.
Getting an unreliable Chrysler would be a bad idea.

A pentastar wrangler would be reliable and can be had with a manual if desired. For many other FCA products, i would agree, but a basic wrangler that was driven mostly street (no lift, still has highway tires, base model) could last a very long time.

It wont be a Toyota but it seems OP wants something different.

That is why i said Maybe a wrangler. It may cost an extra $40 a week in fuel vs a typical 23 mpg crossover or non hybrid sedan. It would be nice for getting in and out and parking. You can also put a ton of miles on one without losing much money. A brand new one for about 28k still ends up being offered for too much money later. There is a 2014 2 door wrangler sport listed for 16.9k at 231,000 miles on autotrader. Gas money can be made up in resale value and is tax deductible anyway. If you wanted to deliver in a wrangler every day, the case can be made.

Anything with a 3.6 Pentastar will live a long life.

A Cherokee with the 3.2 v6 would also work. Could always say screw it and get a Grand Caravan dirty cheap, ours is averaging 22mpg with my wife driving around town exclusively according to the mpg meter... I can’t get an exact number because she never resets her trip mileage when she fills up, but in my experience they’re about 1mpg optimistic so 21mpg in the van. Doesn’t draw any unwanted attention because it’s a minivan, has TONS of room, and has enough power to get out of its own way just watch the torque steer if you step on it.

Could find a CPO Grand Caravan with low mileage, Chrysler’s CPO powertrain warranty is good for 7 years/100k miles which is more than the new vehicle warranty (5 year/60k).

Last edited:
A similar case can be made about a Tacoma truck. Theres a 2012 2wd ex cab 4 cylinder model with 357k on it listed for 10.5k.

You put 200k on any sedan and its worth 5k at best.

That is why i said Maybe a wrangler. It may cost an extra $40 a week in fuel vs a typical 23 mpg crossover or non hybrid sedan. It would be nice for getting in and out and parking. You can also put a ton of miles on one without losing much money. A brand new one for about 28k still ends up being offered for too much money later. There is a 2014 2 door wrangler sport listed for 16.9k at 231,000 miles on autotrader. Gas money can be made up in resale value and is tax deductible anyway. If you wanted to deliver in a wrangler every day, the case can be made.
If you get a Wrangler, see if you can find a RHD model, perfect for delivery use :D

I guess I'm not in your shoes, but I don't see it as that big of a deal. Just shrug those people off or take them on. You've got the perfect car for this. The ultimate in mpg and reliability.

But really, so someone doesn't get mad at you for being a sissy driving a Prius or whatever, put some sticker racing stripes and a spoiler on it or something, make people laugh.

If you're set on replacement, a hybrid Accord or a Camry.

Lots of good suggestions on here but keep in mind, the guy is a courier and gas mileage and reliability have to be two of the biggest factors. along with cargo space.

Honestly the Prius is probably your best option - if I were driving for a living I wouldn’t care one bit about the optics of it - you drive, that’s your job. It kind of doesn’t really matter. Some people need work boots for work, but they don’t go out to dinner in them. Maybe get a different vehicle for your “real life”?

But my suggestions other than the Prius would be the Yaris (which is probably worse looking than the Prius). Honda Civic (maybe), and those things actually look really pretty decent. You could average 30-35 mpg in a 3-4 year old Honda Accord. Or Camry. Or even VW Passat. All of those mid size sedans have improved their fuel economy into the mid 30’s without going hybrid. I know people that own all three - and all of them have been super reliable. Even the VW.

But if you want 40-50 mpg? You stay with the Prius. And you’ll also get the great reliability.

Keep the Prius. Run it into the ground(which will probably be a while before you do being a yota) and replace when necessary. I'm not a Toyota fan, but there's no denying their reliability. The issue you have with stigma is a personal issue. You are looking for an excuse to replace your car because you want to, not for a valid reason. Hate driving the Prius, enjoy the fuel mileage and reliability, and dump it when it dies. 🤷‍♀️

Your car is a tool to reliably make money.

Why worry how it feels to drive or what other people think about you when driving.

If you want something nicer to drive for your self then crack on and buy something for private usage.

That is why i said Maybe a wrangler. It may cost an extra $40 a week in fuel vs a typical 23 mpg crossover or non hybrid sedan. It would be nice for getting in and out and parking.
Are they easier to get in and out of? Maybe I'm young, but out of our four vehicles, our CRV is my least favorite for ingress. I feel like I'm lifting my leg up high to climb in. My truck is easier to get into, probably because I can step onto the running boards with my left foot, grab the hand hold with my right hand, and swing in. Very natural and easy. Our sedans, just kick a foot in and plop down into the seat. But that CRV, I just feel like I'm contorting. No idea why these are popular.

My only experience with Wrangler is the bosses one, must be 5 years old, loud, rough, and half the time I wind up having to ride in the back--and it's a 2 door, so nothing like being annoyed at that bit.

Right now I'm considering a Lexus ct200h. Pretty much the same drivetrain as the prius. Better looking and much nicer inside.

CT200h is a good option. The only thought i have there is it is not really different than a Prius. Sure, it looks better. Is that worth the big expense of selling or trading into another vehicle? You can do this work in just about any vehicle including the one you already own and have paid the taxes and tags on.

What would you want to be driving when not working?

Back